Using Oil Radiators to Heat Shed/Outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shed is single skin breeze block and measures 6m x 5m (30sqm) with insulation in the roof (doing walls next year).

I bought an oil radiator for £60 and had to send it back because the timer wouldn't work. Quite apart from that though, it was pretty poor in heating up the place. Even though it was a 12 fin radiator and I don't expect it to be that warm, it seemed pretty ineffective. I know you have to wait about an hour for it to really start radiating heat out, but even after about two hours, I was pretty underwhelmed. As said, that was a £60 model, but I was considering a model for £180; bit gunshy now though, seeing as I've had a negative experience with them.

What are your experiences in using an oil radiator to heat a shed/outhouse building?

Sponsored Links
You need to work out what you need, not just buy a more expensive model. You should match the heat output of the radiators with the heat loss of the shed (which will be high on a single skin uninsulated wall). I'd expect you'd need several radiators.

I'll be insulating the walls when it gets warmer. Hopefully, when winter comes around again, I'll be ok with any oil radiator.

Sponsored Links
My workshop is roughly 20' x 30' timber construction with insulated roof and walls but single glazed windows. Single electric heater on about half a kilowatt keeps it warm throughout the winter, sufficient to work in and keep tools from rusting. Its on 24 hours / day, otherwise condensation becomes a problem. Five months costs me about £270 each year.

Unless you want to keep the temperature stable for long periods of time, personally I'd just use a fan heater. It'll heat the place with a lot less lag and should be cheaper to buy.

Unless you want to keep the temperature stable for long periods of time, personally I'd just use a fan heater. It'll heat the place with a lot less lag and should be cheaper to buy.
A few have recommended the same thing. Perhaps I'll take a look.

Halogen heaters look pretty good too.

however, an oil-filled radiator is much less likely to start a fire if, for example, it is close to some white spirit or petrol, or if a rag or paper falls on it.

They get no hotter than a teapot.

The price you may for a heater has no effect on the amount of heat it puts out. The wattage does.

The smaller one of these is adequate for a 3m x 3m room with fair insulation.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/search?q=radiator:relevance:type:Oil+Filled+Radiator
but your shed is larger than most garages, with poor insulation, so it's going to be cold unless you throw a lot of energy into it.

I once had a house with no loft insulation, and on frosty nights, even a 3kW fan heater could not made it warm. As soon as I insulated, the heater ran for ten minutes, then clicked off.

I use an external timer because they are the part most likely to go wrong. There are hardly any parts in the heater itself.

The halogen / infra red heaters provide the feeling of instant warmth as soon as they are switched on and the radiant heat reaches you. That is why they are used in places that would be impossible to heat using normal space heating, For example: smoking shelters, warehouses, and old churches.

however, an oil-filled radiator is much less likely to start a fire if, for example, it is close to some white spirit or petrol, or if a rag or paper falls on it.

They get no hotter than a teapot.

The price you may for a heater has no effect on the amount of heat it puts out. The wattage does.

The smaller one of these is adequate for a 3m x 3m room with fair insulation.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/search?q=radiator:relevance:type:Oil+Filled+Radiator

i use an external timer because they are the part most likely to go wrong. There are hardly any parts in the heater itself.
I'm wary of oil rads since the last one I had was pretty ineffective at £60. Von Haus too, which are apparently a good make. Specifically this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FNKLKJB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The halogen / infra red heaters provide the feeling of instant warmth as soon as they are switched on and the radiant heat reaches you. That is why they are used in places that would be impossible to heat using normal space heating, For example: smoking shelters, warehouses, and old churches.
Sounds just like my workshop.

every electric heater, cheap or expensive, throws out 1kWh of heat for every 1kWh of electricity you use.
So I assume the more expensive models are those that throw out the higher end KWh of heat.

I like your sig (Farage) by the way.

within one range, usually.

But a 3kW £40 heater from Wickes throws out more heat than a 2kW £600 heater from MagicTechnology.

this type
T3274_148247_00

is cheap to buy, and heats the room quickly, but can start a fire if e.g. a curtain blows over it, or a piece of paper falls on it, or it is directly under a wooden shelf. You see it has slots in the top, and dust, sawdust or shavings can fall inside, especially in a workshop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back