Using old Engineering bricks for pathway and dwarf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am planning an extension that will involve removing some old outside walls. I would like to reuse the bricks to make a path and patio and also to build a dwarf wall.

Will the bricks be OK for the path and patio? This is the look I was wanting
20180413_123811.jpg
20180413_123819.jpg

Also I was wanting to build a dwarf wall with the bricks with some sand/ cement maybe 6:1? Do you think the bricks will be OK with this as the repair to the wall (one being knocked down) made with sand cement made some bricks blow out . Is this because they used too strong a mix or is it Lime or nothing with these engineering bricks?

blown bricks with attempted lime repair (decided to build extension here instead)

full

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180413_123813.jpg
    20180413_123813.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
Not engineering brick are they? If not, no for path, if you like for wall.
Thanks Woody. Yeah they are engineering bricks. Can I build with them with a normal sand cement mix do you think like a 6:1 mix?

Sponsored Links
Right. The extension is going up using the old bricks. As stated they were originally but using lime. Builder is reusing on cavity wall using sand cement. Will this be OK. I am a bit worried about them cracking in frost etc as water can't escape or am I worrying too much?!
Thanks

Cavity walls and sand and cement have worked for millions of people for decades, so I think you can sleep easy.

You are going through the council's building control aren't you? They will confirm whatever the builder proposes to be acceptable or not, and inspect parts of the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back