Using part of Garage as Playroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So we have an attached garage, access from a UPVC door at the rear.

Front 2m is used for storage, bins etc and rear separated from the rear 5m with a stud wall. Wall has 75mm of rockwool. Rear 5m has boarded ceiling with 300mm loft type insulation up there.

I used it at a gym but want to start using it as a playroom for our 19 month old so once cleared my plan is thus:

Floor
75mm Jabfloor on top of a DPM which runs up the walls all round
T&G 22mm on top of this.

Walls
Batten out and screw some PIR sheets on all round and tape the joints as walls are all single skin

I don't want it to be a habitable room, I need to be able to rip it out if we sell as we are not allowed to convert the garage on our estate due to the local planning rules on car parking spaces so getting building regs is not concern in terms of U Values.

I just want it to be warmer in there in the winter, stick a 2KW oil filled rad for an hour and it can then be used by the kid. It also doesn't need to look pretty, hence just PIR rather than boarding that out.

Does this seem ok?

Electrics and lighting I have covered

Sponsored Links
i think you will need at least 3kw fan heater to raise the temperature from say 5 degrees to perhaps 18 in an hour and perhaps your 2kw on nearly continuosly to maintain the heat all dependant on actual heat loss but as its 5m by i assume 2.4 thats a big bedroom size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back