Using smaller saw blades than specified

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if there would ba any problem if I were to use a 250mm diameter saw blade on my 255mm makita compound mitre saw? I don't think so since the blade would be smaller than the saw accepts. Both are 30mm bore.

Sponsored Links
unlikely to matter as its only half that all round
is the kerf the same i assume about 1/8" 3.18mm
it will effect the cutting width by a few mm

Logical answer - would you know if even smaller diameter blades would affect the saw performance other than the length of the cut?

You will reach a point where the blade doesn't reach the bed of the saw. There should be some adjustment but I doubt you will be able to cut right through with a 200mm blade.

Sponsored Links
you will also run out off adjustment for the guards and the radius will mean you cannot maintain a proper safe gap around the arc on the riving knife if fitted

It won't spin as fast and if it jambs will have more grunt and more dangerous. Use the right kit. It's your eyes and fingers that are on the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back