'Usual' size for MDPE feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbishing a property in Eastleigh, Hampshire.

It's got a lead supply pipe. We've dug a 2'6" trench for a new supply, alas I was not present when the inspector called. I was 1" out, so I've got to dig a little more - no problem.

However, the inspector called when one of my "lads" was on site. We had some old 20mm MDPE insitu, which we are going to replace - it was in situ when we bought the property and I don't trust anyone's pipes "just left in the ground".

I called up southernwater to just double check the pipe size and the guy I spoke to (not the inspector) said it should be a 25mm MDPE. This sounds a little large for a normal domestic pipe.

I would appreciate your comments.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that. Right.. Toolstation for some 25mm and a 25mm to 22mm copper connector, stop cock/valve (what ever PC people say) and a non-return valve.

Sponsored Links
It was a 20mm tail sticking out. And the inspector didn't comment (according to my guy on site). But the magical people at the end of the phone said 25mm. I'm happy going 25mm. All the better for running the bath quicker ! Ok, ok, a pressurised system as opposed to the combi I'm going to install...

if you're going to have to buy it, you might even consider 32mm.

The effort of laying it is just the same, and if you ever want a Megaflow or something in future, it can give you even better flow. It's annoying if someone turns on a tap or flushes the WC and the shower dies back.

I changed an old lead half-inch to 20mm plastic a couple of years ago, the flow was greatly improved. I've wished since that I'd bought bigger, but I had the 20mm in the shed. The cost difference is very slight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back