Utility Room Unit Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure where to post this query as not 100% what i need, feel free to move it if needs be..

Havng just knocked through and renovated my utility room im now looking for a unit but not sure where to got to get it or what i should even use..probably really simple answer :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

I want some sort of a unit that my washing machine and tumble dryer can go underneath and that i can fix a piece of worktop (same as in my kitchen) over the top therefore giving a freestanding work surface with the washer an dryer housed underneath. It doesnt need a front. Would rather something ready made for neatness rather than building something myself id say. So i guess basically like a open topped frame?

Could be metal or wood or anything really im pretty easy....any suggestions what i can or should do?

Sponsored Links
Coljack great reply thanks :eek:

Just looking for advice really not sarcasm...

And freddy mercury i take it you mean just to buy the worktop then make a wood frame myself to sit it on. I guess i could do that then if theres nothing else thanks

Sponsored Links
ok, I lied..

might be a little tight on the dimensions..

H=90cm
D=63cm
W=126cm

90 is standard counter height, so they should go under,
63 is 3 more than a swandard counter, so they should be deep enough
126 is 6cm wider than 2 60cm appliances, which would be the width of the legs presumably..?

That looks ok, cept probably not deep or long enough for a washer and dryer and couldnt pt my own worktop on. Thanks for looking though, i guess il have to make something myself :rolleyes:

se above re dimensions..
they should fit..

and it's self assembly, so when you get to the bit where it says to screw the metal top on, just put your own on..

Coljack great reply thanks :eek:

Just looking for advice really not sarcasm...

And freddy mercury i take it you mean just to buy the worktop then make a wood frame myself to sit it on. I guess i could do that then if theres nothing else thanks

No, just stick a leg under each corner of the work top why bother with a frame? It shouldn't sag unless you go bangin' the wife on there!:cool:

Why not fix a timber bearer to the longest wall, then continue it at right angles into the corners of the utility room....., allowing you to fix a worktop of your choice? If you cant return into the corners, B&Q etc do a range of legs that are adjustable for height, and can be fixed into the worktop and floor if need be. Cheers John :)

Burnerman great help thanks thats what i need to do. Its sort of going in the corner alond a ong wall, so i can fix a bearer on 2 sides then use 2 legs on the front, didnt know B+Q etc did them, just fixed through the bottom with short screws i guess...that would work well :D

Freddymercury..well you never know, best support it :D

Coljack thanks for looking that up, thing its the wrong look though, cheers anyhow!

he mentioned freestanding.. that's why I suggested the frame after I found it..
if he wants fixed then why not just get a couple of end panels from the IT range and some brackets?

alternatively, if he measures up the space, there may be room for a coupr of 150mm wide base units either side.. somewhere to store the pegs, powders and liquids one needs for laundry..

Coljack thanks again for that help, sorry took ages to get back...

Where would i get the 150mm units from, and can worktop be attached to the top of them? That sounds a great idea.... Maybe even just one at one end and the other end thats in the corner and back fixed onto a timber bearer on the wall..possible?

Also where would i get end panels from..you mentioned the IT range? wat is that? I think between both of those ideas i could make something that will do great..what do you think?

Thanks for taking the time to post up those links coljack much appreciated. :)

Is it possible to say use a 300 base unit at one end and attach a worktop to that somehow? It looks like it already has a top on it but would i just put worktop over the top of that piece attached with brackets or screws or something? Then the other end just attached to a wall bearer timber..

Therefore giving a worktop bench with storage unit at one end. Then i would either leave the unit end..or maybe put one of those end panels over it to look neat if its possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back