Uv Lights be warned - i wasnt and it hurts!

We wire these up in pubs, for there U/V party nights
400watt each!

Yes but its not the power , its the wavelength. If you compare the bacteria killing pond lights with the disco tubes, you will see there a different colour,

Ultraviolet A, long wave, or black light has an energy of 3.10–3.94 eV per Photon. (eV=Electron Volts)

Ultraviolet B or medium wave is 3.94–4.43 eV per photon

Ultraviolet C, short wave, or germicidal has 4.43–12.4 eV per photon.

The pond light is UV-C, Disco lights are UV-A. Pond lights are more than four times as energetic. It gets worse in space, the other side of the ozone layer - the stuff from stars, and the sun can reach 10.2–124 eV per photon, seriously dangerous, would fry you in minutes if you were exposed naked.

Newborn stars in 30 Doradus fluorescing in UV - deadly!!

0057_uv.jpg

Sponsored Links
rocky, do you still fit those? The Flares and Reflex bars in Doncaster had them all taken out. They had about 10 in the place. Couldnt move for them. But never got bad eyes from them. I guess they could do harm if you looked at them a lot though (staff / DJ?) I wonder if this is why they took them out. They now have a few traditional blacklight tubes about the place.

it was a small 25 watt 18 inch g25 uv lamp on an old green gennie box. No warning on the box or on the tube for that matter. I know more recent filter boxes now have a switch on that stops the lamp coming on unless its closed, so you dont get exposed to it.
So how do you know its working? :LOL:

We have a really old filter box, UV in lid. The tube goes down the middle of a wider pipe that forms the UV chamber. As in this picture:

Photo112.jpg

Only a small part of the tube is ever exposed, at each end, though it is possible to connect the tube outside the enclosure. You can only tell if its working (properly, without direct exposure) at night, because the inlet tube glows blue/green.

Sponsored Links
rocky, do you still fit those? The Flares and Reflex bars in Doncaster had them all taken out. They had about 10 in the place. Couldnt move for them. But never got bad eyes from them. I guess they could do harm if you looked at them a lot though (staff / DJ?) I wonder if this is why they took them out. They now have a few traditional blacklight tubes about the place.

No, if you actually read my post you see they are the wrong wavelength to do you any harm, because the eV per photon is too low. You think the Elf'n'Safety Nazis would let you put up dangerous lighting in a Disco? ?

On the DOH subject.

Mate had a motocross accident where another bike ran over him leaving him bruised and sore.
We say have you not got one of those heat lamps,(infra red) that will help you.

Yeah i think the wife has got one

Couple of weeks later he turns up and gives us dogs abuse for our suggestion.

Lifting his top one side has a lovely tan and his nipple has more or less burnt off.

Yep he used a UV tanning lamp

No, if you actually read my post you see they are the wrong wavelength to do you any harm, because the eV per photon is too low. You think the Elf'n'Safety Nazis would let you put up dangerous lighting in a Disco? ?
Yeah ok Mr Sledgehammer.

I was merely speculating as to the reason for their demise. Perhaps running cost was a factor.

had a break from gas many moons ago, went to work in Sth Africa for a while. There were guys doing arc welding on crash barriers, they were given Rayban aviator shades to wear whilst working. They thought they looked like right cool dudes. You could always spot an ex welder when out.

rocky, do you still fit those?.

Still done some last year, they tend to go for smaller LED panels now which do similar.

As for the place where they took them out, you need to turn the main lights down for the effect or there pointless,sometimes if the site has drug problems then they tend to have to improve lighting.

Was actually fitting them ones when you posted about them last year.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1314759#1314759

Yates tend to like them, for there U/ V nights where you paint up and dance like a spaz on U-tube.

I wondered about them being safe, never realised about the wavelength.

Sponsored Links
Back