vacancies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all advice needed

having been made redundant last year and been given the opportunity to train as something else , i chose a plumbing course , just about finished my technical certificate course i am now looking for some work, being 39 age i know is against me ( but hey i can still work hard, have all my own teeth and everything )

i need to get a position with a company to get on to the next level , i am trying to help myself by getting myself to college but finding it hard to get into a company , i am from northampton, have my own transport , any suggestions ideas anyone

thanks mike

Sponsored Links
being 39 age i know is against me ( but hey i can still work hard, have all my own teeth and everything )

more than i have
lol-003.gif

Don't give up. Experience is worth more than a bit of paper.

Put some flyers out in all the local plumbers merchants, but don't expect a living wage (or any wage) to gain the valuable experience ;)

Sponsored Links
yeah i am prepared to work for smaller wage for up to a year to gain experience, then well bills will take over and make me possibly do something else

43 , a wife, 3 teenage sons, 2 dogs, 2 cats , a fookin big mortgage and Balding like theres no tomorrow here :LOL:

Hope that makes ya feel better Kev ;)

43 , a wife, 3 teenage sons, 2 dogs, 2 cats , a fookin big mortgage and Balding like theres no tomorrow here :LOL:

Hope that makes ya feel better Kev ;)

Sounds like me, but I hope your mortgage aint as big as mine :cry:

You gas boys earn that a year ask the media :LOL: :LOL:

Thats why we all want to be a "plumber" init

you get my point but, 39 and your old hat :D

Ignoring all other aspects, I would say that your age is an ADVANTAGE !!!

Most of the people on here have had such bad experiences with young trainees that we know that over 35s are far more mature, serious and know what they want to do!

I am fairly critical of people like you who get a "technical certificate" rather than a proper NVQ II which incorporates practical experience.

As in all study situations, the world does not owe you a living! No uni is going to pay you to attend!!! If you have no practical skills you will initially be a liability to any plumbing firm!

All I will suggest is that you try to get unpaid work experience until you are commercially useful. Work in MacDonalds in the evenings if you have to earn some money.

You have said nothing about your personal situation so I am unable to comment further. If you are career changing with a non working wife and children in nappies then there is little hope for you.

To be realistic you should have planned for a year with no income and a second year with a basic income of £10,000. After five years if you are VERY good you might earn over £30,000 but be aware that the average employed plumbers earn less.

Tony

I was 30 when I decided to have a change in career ,,,, I was a cab driver in London and 13 years ago the bottom was dropping out of the trade which Id been in for 12 years.
I signed up to my local college and carried on cabbing in the evenings, that went on for 2 years and by then I got my NVQ level 2, went straight into a gas test center and got my ACOPS and went straight into the field.
Started off with agencies till I got a permanent position but for the 1st couple of years I was on £13 ish an hr but I quickly proved myself ( fanx to my age) and kept looking for a better position which I found in my 4th year,, stayed with that job till about 2 years ago when I decicded its time I went on my own .
Ill tell you now the last year and a half has been the hardest coz I was spending more than I was bringing in and getting established at the same time,, now that was so hard and still I sit here for a few days at a time with nothing coming in but you gotta be determined and concentrate on getting a good name...

Im rambling now but you get the picture,, I personally cant work for someone so Im sticking to it but think hard coz its a bigger step than you imagine !!

Del

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back