Views/Info required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend who was recently made redundant and has paid and started one of these £4500 pass in 8 week Gas Courses.
Is this legal?
The reason i ask is that he has asked to shadow me on jobs for some sort of portfolio.
Now the guy in question has been a port master since leaving school and never lifted a spanner in his life.
Now i was at college 2 days a week and on site training for 3 days a week for 3 years before i done my exams.
I spoke to the guy who trained me as he is now my father in law and has his own very succesful gas company and he beleives that it is law that everyone has a minimum of 2 years training before they are allowed to work on their own.
Does anyone know for sure and what are other engineers feelings about this if it is legal?

Sponsored Links
I dont know mate?
He is a massive Clint Eastwood fan so maybe its his law when it comes to employment for his company.
The point of the thread was not who told him but if he was right and if it is right in general for people who have never lifted a hand tool to be doing our job in just 8 weeks?
Please not that the 8 weeks is only one class based lesson per week for full day!! And that they have to find their own engineer to shadow!!

many courses don't even need to have a work placement they do it all onsite.

its all load of ca*p gas engineer by don't know anything about plumbing.

Sponsored Links
many courses don't even need to have a work placement they do it all onsite.

Well this course defo does nothing on site and hes only there 8 hours a week.
So you beleive that 64 hours of onsite is enough to go round your house and fit a new boiler?
Even if it was 40 hours a week for 8 weeks would you deem that enough?
I dont want a bitching match i wanted honest views!!!

i dont agree with the quick buck fast track courses, but your father in law is way off the mark saying you need 2 years experience to work alone, as soon as your qualification gets downloaded to Gas Safe Register, (should be within 28 days of completing course) you are allowed to work on your own

It seems the question about the legallity is quite easy to answer.
If the centre is recognised by for instance citb, or one of the others, and they issue an acs certificate, I don't see how it could be illegal.

Let's not forget that acs in itself only checks that someone can work safely with gas, and not if someone is a competent engineer. It will only allow you to work under the supervision of a RGI, not to run around and do installs on your own.

It could be a long time before you are allowed to register in your own right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back