Gas training courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been in plumbing now for three years.
Still learning and doing quite well and I do the occasional private jobs at weekends etc but lately I've been asked if I'd connect a new cooker or flueless gas fire.
I've had to turn these jobs down as i'm not corgi trained. I've looked at different companies that do gas training etc but they are quite expensive and so many to choose from.
Has anyone done their training with any of these companies have they worked for you? And are they worth it?

I'm 44 so college is not suitable for me right now.

Sponsored Links
I've been asked if I'd connect a new cooker or flueless gas fire.

Don;t consider doing a flueless as they HAVE A BAD REPUTATION.

As for the course well its your money and will be a string to the bow but don't expect to profit too greatly.
If you do a search you will see the pros are not too impressed with the gas trade at the moment! :(

If you do a search you will see the pros are not too impressed with the gas trade at the moment

Thats an under statement Bahco. ;)

The gas trade is a licence to print money by the likes of Corgi (soon to be Capita), ACS centres, and insurance companies, and every one else excluding Rgi's.
Every tw*t want our hard earned money :evil:

Just got my 5 year registration reminder of OFTEC £720.00 :cry:
Thats after I complete 3 modules which will sting me for £650.00 + :evil:

Grem, over say a 5 year cycle, how much do you reckon you pay in corgi fees, ACS, insurance etc, excluding vehicle?
£20 a week?

Sponsored Links
Chris

That reply was expected from yourself, especially as you have connections with ACS centres :rolleyes:

Still does not justify these high cost does it.

Add the total siting or resiting ACS multiply by cost fee, then tell me its not money making.

Or how can centres justify a minimum of £175.00 per day. ( for each candidate)

I for one would be quite happy for the assessments to be more rigorous - fail more people- then the people who do get through are the ones capable of doing the job to the required standard and should not have to be reassessed in full every 5 years. Maybe a one day course/assessment on anything new instead.

Wishful thinking tabs.

The standard passing through some ACS centres is disgusting.

Then again if centres fail too many then their credibility drops and candidates will find another one that has a high pas rate.

Its all down to making as much money as possible.

Agree Feking frightening some that get through and to be honest when you have to tell the instructors the answers thats even worse.
On renewal last year place i done it they allowed one guy 9 hours to do the pipework and flue and vent paper total of 60 question max .
I said surely not there must be a time limit ,they replied we thought so to but its the first day under a new exam board and they have not sent us any.

We helped a few at first but when it became obvious they didn`t have a clue we stopped

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back