I'm thinking of training.....

Yeah, well I'm 50 so will definitely get someone to do the donkey work...sooner or later
Good luck Jon, I really hope you make it. You sound perfectly capable of getting the qualification but don't have enough time to gain the experience other than installation and testing.
I've been in this job for 45 years and I don't know three quarters of it.
Go for install only but it's hard work.

Sponsored Links
No difference I'm afraid Puller; both Uber and Pimlico Plumbers maintain the people who work for them are self employed, but are treated and regulated like employees. As ever, the threads deviated from the OPs question.

Plumber is a skilled tradesman & has lots more on-costs than a Taxi Driver. Plumber has loads of tools & equipment a Taxi Driver doesn't need. So Chas's Plumbers are SE.

You've obviously come in late to the thread Puller, as this isn't anything to do with skills, but it morphed into what constitutes being SE. Recent court cases designated both Pimlico plumbers and Uber drivers as employees, even though the companies claimed they were self employed, which obviously they weren't.

indeed.county durham or bishop auckland plumber..but some say "are you a proper plumber"...if you say im a heating engr.."others say you mean your a plumber!......so technically i should be bishopaucklandheatingengineer......rolls of the tongue!.

Sponsored Links
"Spend many thousands on test gear"....its not that bad!.FGA...decent multimeter.thats about it....

Self employment is not for everyone.Must be a nightmare starting from scratch with family to support..or without a partner to help out.I will never make a fortune. im no workaholic,and for me you cant beat
1.not dreading monday norning.
2.walking away from job you dont fancy....
Priceless for me.For others its all about the pay packet....you takes your choice in life.

A guy I know makes quite good money in a factory..The downside...he goes into depression on saturday afternoon..comes out of it about wednesday afternoon...must be a barrel of laughs for his Mrs.

A chap I knew made ( was paid ) enormous amounts of money as ""someone in the City"", but he was burnt out by age 30 and could no longer do the work. Massive low interest mortgage from his employer was terminated and they had to sell the house for less than they paid for it. The stress of the downsize in social life destroyed his marriage as well. He took up a self employed role in travel arrangments ( a posh person's travel agent ), didn't make a lot of profit but being his own boss was that which saved his sanity.

"Spend many thousands on test gear"....its not that bad!.FGA...decent multimeter.thats about it....

I was going to post a comment, but cant make up my mind whether you are serious,or if I have missed something.

Maybe we should start a game... name a business expense without repeating anthers suggestion. The resulting (lots of) pages would then be available for us to direct potential newbies, and "you cost too much" customers

You've obviously come in late to the thread Puller, as this isn't anything to do with skills, but it morphed into what constitutes being SE. Recent court cases designated both Pimlico plumbers and Uber drivers as employees, even though the companies claimed they were self employed, which obviously they weren't.

Of course it's got everything to do with skill!! Historically it can be proven that Construction Skilled Tradesmen have been self employed for decades. In fact it was the Unions & the Labour Government that changed their status. A Taxi Driver is unskilled.

FFS JD!! It's a bit different, a sweaty Taxi Driver & highly trained Plumbers!!

Never seen anything on ITV about my mate Chas??!!
Are you talking about CHAS in Glasgow mate ? are they still going ?

fireman..you have missed something.I was refering specifically to test eqpt not business expenses...One does not need to spend "Many thousands" on test eqpt to be a heating engr...few thousand. not MANY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back