Plumbing training courses / qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As from Friday 26th February I am now unemployed. The company I worked for went into administration. I now see this as an opportunity to change career and become a plumber. I have always said I was in the wrong career and should have done something with my hands - well now is my chance.

What route would you professional plumbers recommend as qualifications? As I have registered for Job Seekers Allowance I qualify for a free 5 day training course (obviously a simple one). The course is run by www.ytatraining.com. I have already made the phone call and registered for this. Also, a friend has done a plumbing course run by http://lsoc.org.uk/index.php (Learning and Skills Open College).

What is the general opinion for 'best' training qualifications.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
A three year plumbing NVQ2 apprenticeship with day release for the college.

Then you can call yourself a time served plumber like Dick Puller.

Has anyone used OLCI? It's a home study course, after which you gain C&G 6129 Level 2 qualification. After that you are assessed in a working environment and get NVQ level 2.

Sponsored Links
Dont bother!
Go into electrics, anything but plumbing !

There are far to many badly trained people that are chasing the same jobs as decent plumbers driving the prices down ,doing poor work, risking peoples lives by doing so.

These training courses are a con AND I WOULD NEVER EMPLOY ANY WHO HAS COMPLETED ONE!!!!!!

CCC. CC :evil:

Then you can call yourself a time served plumber like Dick Puller..................Oh you little devil Telly Tony :evil: :evil:

As assured has stated, these mickey mouse courses are a complete waste of time & your money. 100s of good time-served ex-site Plumbers looking for work, along with all the CC/CCCs!!

Those training courses are expensive and will never teach three years experience in a few weeks.

Dick and I, and most people in our trade, would say that whilst they must teach you something it will NOT equip you to go and practice plumbing on the public without another two years practical experience working as an employee or trainee under the training guidance os an experienced person.

Tony

Totally agree Tony.
I'm 35 years man & boy, learning something new every day. But my biggest thanks goes out to these old gits I server my time with, their knowledge & experience was invaluable.

They were true artisans. Most had seen action in WW2 & some were even POWs and they couldn't wait to get out the Daft'n'barmy & back on the tools. They made you love your trade.

Those training courses are expensive and will never teach three years experience in a few weeks.

Totally Agree

On the normal apprentice route you would theoretically spend between 600 and 800 days in the field and about 200 at college.

So how can these courses justify themselves?

I am totally for you joining the field OP but do not see how its practical after you have left home and have bills to pay!

I dont mean to be rude here mate but jog on lad with all the other 1000000000000000000000s of people after a career change into the plumbing & heating industry. these short courses are a rip off.

I served a 4 year plumbing & heating apprenticeship back in the 90s
won apprentice of the year for the north west, I also worked for BG for five years and iam still learning this job.

you just would not gain employment with anyone, nor would you able to work for your self because fact is you would not know where your a$se hole is to earn enough money. you would earn more in asda pal

sorry. :confused:

Don't listen to all these negative wan*ers.

Most of them are just jealous they had to work for 4 years before they got to where you can now get to in 8 weeks.

Obviously they would have learnt more than you will during that time, but if you're anything like me then serving a 4 year apprenticeship just isnt feasible.

It 100% depends on how dedicated you are. You will have to sit down with the Yellow Pages, call every plumber in the book, and be willing to work for free. Thats the realism of it all im afriad. I had to do it, but i worked hard and its paid off.

Be prepared for a lot of rejection and similar comments from the people in this thread.

I used OLCI, and although i wouldn't be where i am now without spending 5k on that course, i know there are better ways. Buy books, teach yourself the theory... go buy some benders and soldering gear with lots of copper. Practice practice and practice. Get out a few days a week with a plumber for no money... preferably one who is Gas Safe... while you're working with him start building up your gas portfolio... thats where the money is, not plumbing. Do you ACS once you have your 60 jobs. Don't spend 5k on a C&G 6129

Also... dig deep enough and you will find 60% funding on any course if you work it the right way.

If you have anymore question or need anymore advice from someone who was in the same situation, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

that is a reply i would expect off a backdoor merchent. C&G 6129 is that another back door qualification? that training company must of seen you comeing just like all these other 10000000000s of people. i feel sorry for you. the thing is he can't get my qualification in 8 weeks the proper plumbing&heating qualification still takes 4 years to complete. 18 months an this lot will go back to the office they come from.

Which qualification that you have takes 4 years to get? NVQ Level 3? I can assure it it can be done in less than half that time :)

Red-Man is a scouser chancer & I'd give him a day working with our heating kru............He'd still be fann.ing around with his mickey mouse course notes when our time-served lads would have half the job done!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back