Vaillant 242 boiler

Sponsored Links
I see no other option but to get a qualified person to have a look at it again. It's just like having a car....but like you said, I sould have had my money's worth by now.

The real weakness on that model is the appalling quality of the diverter valve and microswitch...if you can live with the short life of those components they are a robust boiler...and the last of the quality Vaillants.

So far it was the heat exchanger, expansion vessel and diverter valve.... but it still quite reliable and does the job, so far.

Sponsored Links
There is no way on earth my gaffer would ever give the go ahead to change a heat exchanger on a boiler that old. It would of been quote for another boiler.

It wasn't changed, the guy used some descaler couple of times in the last 4 years.

if they'd have shoved a Simple Giannoni diverter on the Tmax it would have been one of the best boilers ever, same with the chung valve...why roll your own when proven parts from Honey and Sit are out there.

you really need an experienced engineer, as already said , apart from the diverter valve they are decent boilers and to keep it going another year would be no problem, I think I know what needs doing but as it means gas work I cant tell you on the open forum, if it is what I think it is then you wont require any parts just someone who knows what they are doing

Thank you for your message. I did think that I would be a bit more complicated, just wanted a honest opinion from experienced tradesmen. Not very kin on paying for another fix the 3rd year in a row... anyway I will try to hold onto this boiler for a bit longer.

Regards

Thank you for your message. I did think that I would be a bit more complicated, just wanted a honest opinion from experienced tradesmen. Not very kin on paying for another fix the 3rd year in a row... anyway I will try to hold onto this boiler for a bit longer.

Regards

Last decent boiler Vaillant made. Diverter valve is a faff on occasion. Remember fixing my brother's one bank holiday weekend by robbing a piece of my nephew's bike inner tube ;lol: Lasted a fair while too. :D

if they'd have shoved a Simple Giannoni diverter on the Tmax it would have been one of the best boilers ever, same with the chung valve...why roll your own when proven parts from Honey and Sit are out there.

Yes, fair comment about the diverter. Mine had a couple in the first couple of years, because they used to stick, then become free with a loud bang. But they must have solved it because the last one they fitted has been in 11 years or more. That's all that's been replaced in 14 years and still going strong. Definitely gets my vote as best Vaillant boiler. Had a Sine before. Wonderful engineering but over complex. What's the point of a boiler that hardly anyone understands? Turbomax wins because simple design, simple to fix, good availability of reasonably priced parts and I can't see which single part failing would write the boiler off. New main hex is only £200 or so and easy fit. Mine's 14 years old now, and I expect at least another 10 years out of it. Intergas seems the only worthy successor these days.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back