Vaillant 242 EH Laeakig from water section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH that I purchased and installed in march 1992.

Over the last couple of months a drip from the water section haas progessively gotten worse, to the extent that I can ignore it no longer.

Looking for the whole water section on the internet has thrown up a couple of problems, there appear to be 2 available with different part numbers. I have contacted a company called UK Plumbing to ask what the differences are and they have said that the part I need is no longer available (at least from them) but they can get the individual bits and pieces.

So, my question, is the entire water section available and if so where from and what would be the part number? Or what parts would normally cause a leak from that area.

I do realise that it is impossible to diagnose without actually seeing the boiler but I don't mind ordering various bits that are probably the cause and then dismantling with everything at hand, if you see what I mean.

If you need further info please ask...

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
If this is the one I think it is, the secondary heatexchanger has been modified. It used to be plastic, but is now metal. It comes as a kit including the necessary adepter pipes.
The correct partnumber should be easy as I don't think you can even get the old one anymore.

I did one last year as bengasman says it is a plate HE with a ton of new pipes to fit, and worst of all a restrictor to be fitted in the middle of the diverter valve, it took me around Three hours to do I don't look forward to doing another, I would advice using a RGI to do this work

Water section usually refers to where the diaphragm is on this boiler..
Are you talking about silver bit at bottom centre of boiler

Sponsored Links
Yes, the centre of the boiler, the valve that has the white plastic dial that controls the domestic hot water temperature.

The heat exchanger is what is being referenced here, I changed that about 10 years ago for the stainless steel type.

So what I'm looking for is the valve in the lower centre of the boiler, the one with the white dial with red legends on, I need a supplier, part number, or indication or part required to stop it leaking...

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Thought so.

You should only need the gland nut that goes on top of it, this is where it leaks also change diaphragm.

If you get a complete one it wont have the connection for the little bundy pipe that goes to the small expansion vessel but don`t worry as this is not req. Same as they come without the white knob bit (nobody ever used them anyway).
You could try gas appliance spares at preston 01772 702755.

Girls there are very knowledgable and helpful even without part numbers
Its water section your after just have your gas council number for the appliance and there computers will bring up the diagrams for them.

Worst case is its been leaking that long you will not get grub screw out that holds it in place and will need a new bearing plate after drilling screw out

I rang them and indeed they were very helpful and knowledgeable, I have order those two parts (well 3 actually because we didn't know what diaphragm was required I ordered both, but at £2.50 I was that bothered.

Thanks for all your help, I will let you know how I got on.

Steve

Glad you have got the bits.

That boiler is getting a bit long in the tooth now and by chance I am taking one out today!

It only took me about two hours to do a plate conversion on one but there was a leak so it took anout half an hour to remake that joint. I have avoided doing any others and now recommend changing the boiler instead.

Tony

And whilst I have your attention...

If I were to replace the boiler, is there a Vaillant one that will 'almost' match up to the existing plate, (you know the bit at the bottom of the boiler that all the pipes are connected to) and how much work has to be done to for the flue end as well.

Basically what boiler should I get to have the least amount of work to change from my 242 e :)

Thanks again everyone.[/i]

I took out one today! It has been replaced wity a Viessmann.

Now that boilers are condensing you cannot expect to find one that is a direct change on the connections jig. That one is a very large ( and heavy ) boiler and modern ones are smaller.

The Viessmann has the same order of pipes thoug but as my job was going on a different wall it helped but was not critical.

Tony

Ok, the parts arrived today and I have the boiler in bits. But they are the wrong parts.

I think they are the right parts for the original boiler but I changed the whole water valve about 7 or 8 years ago and it may be that I didn't fit the right valve.

The stuffing box and the diaphragm are smaller on my valve. The diaphragm isn't flat and the stuffing box has a smaller hole and smaller thread.

HAs anyone any idea what valve I have got and how I can get the right bits?

I am going to try and add a photo, I have had to do it on Facebook, I don't think you have to be a member to see it. Here goes

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3232360&l=dacd9519f7&id=727219782

i think diaphragm is part no is 010359
stuffingbox i think is n/l/a
water section complete is part no 011292

May I ask a couple more questions...

So did I fit the wrong valve all those years ago?

I managed to find somewhere that sells a diaphragm kit with the part no. you quoted and the picture shows it is the one I need but the problem is it's the stuffing box that appears to be leaking. Is my only option to replace the whole valve?

It isn't priced too bad at £70 inc VAT at UK Plumbing.

What is the difference between 011292 and 011299? (sorry edited as I'd quoted the same numbers) :)

You have all been really helpful, I wish I'd come on here a few months ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back