Vaillant 824 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a neutral view to Vaillants until I was called to repair one this week. The owner said it was leaking water when in operation. He had a bucket underneath the boiler which was catching the water. Having not worked on a Vaillant before I wasn't quite prepared for what I found....

A section of copper pipe between the pump and heat exchanger is cut and joined with a section of hose with two metal clips. When the boiler was fired and pump run, this hose had a lovely geyser of water squirting out of one end of the hose. I must admit I was somewhat astonished that a supposedly high quality boiler would have something as hokey as a hose and hoseclip arrangement on such an important section of pipework.

My 'technical' solution was to take it all apart and dry it out. Then remake the joint with another hoseclip. The customer wasn't very impressed and I can only sympathise when you consider the boiler is less than two years old.

Comments? Anyone had this issue ... See pics;

With the case off;
vail1.jpg

In the words of Ronnie Barker, the 'ose' and fix;
vail2.jpg

Here you can just about make out water squirting out when the boiler is in operation;
vail3.jpg

Sponsored Links
It helps with expansion/contraction, reduces NVH, and allows a reduction in manufacturing tolerances, and is easier to fit. Viessman do the same.

Belt and braces method would be to bond the hose to the copper or double swage the tube end with a couple of oetiker clips.

Remember vehicle hoses operate at higher temperatures and are very reliable.

Did I hear something about saunier now sailing under the vaillant flag? Or was it glowworm? Yes, car coolant pipes work with clips and rubber hoses, but I doubt if they hold up to 3 bar for a long time. Am working on project around the bigger brother of this one and will have a look when I am there to see if that one also has the rubber pipe. Must admit I am not impressed.

Not only are Sonya Duval and Glow Worm both Vaillant but they have bought Heatline as well!

Apparently they want to sell Vaillant boilers in Turkey! I hope they remember to send over lots of spare parts as well!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The Viessmann Vitodens 100 also has rubber hoses connecting the main heat exchanger. If reputable names are doing it......

I feel I must add that the Vitodens 100 is not doing much for the 'reputation' of Viessmann.

As it is under 2 years old, why weren't Vaillant called out under warranty to replace that section?

New fault to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back