Vaillant 837 Ecotec. Gas Inlet Pressure Problems

The pressure at the meter is now 22mb (boiler on full demand) and the reading at the boiler is 18Mb - I know I've measured it myself (I know I shouldn't but it seemed the only way to satisfy myself). Although the 4mb drop from meter to boiler is a little above what an ideal installation would be, it's acceptable for the Vaillant 837 boiler, which should read between 17mb and 25mb when on full demand.

You only 'appear' to have a 4mBar drop, in reality with your ecotec plus loosing 3 mBar betweenthe boiler gas cock and the inlet test point on the gas valve, you have the required 1 mBar drop.

What I have learned from this is that my service engineer was far too quick to assume that the pipework from meter to boiler was defective. National Grid are more than willing to come out and look at things and makes some tweeks and this costs absolutely nothing at all.

Sounds like a lazy toad to me. Anyone servicing a gas appliance should call NG in if the WP at the meter is outside the accepted range.

Thank you very much for your contribution. It certainly helps to convince me that any work required to my pipework can be delayed until the summer (even if it is needed) and that I should be looking for someone much more competent to service my boiler.

A.

Sponsored Links
Guys, I wanted to thank you all for your very helpful comments and advice. When CORGI refer to 'competent' engineers I'm sure they are referring to people like yourselves.

If any of you feel I should be looking to change my pipework in the short, medium, long term then please say so and I'll certainly consider it now that I've got people talking in a language I can understand and offering impartial advice.

Thanks again to everyone concerned.

A.

Its nice to find somebody who takes the time to read what we say and to reply and comment where appropriate and to thank us for our help!

We still dont know what the length of 22 mm pipe to the boiler is and how much of that is in the accessable garage part.

I always like installations to be as correct as possible so my preference would be that its upgraded to 28 mm in the garage, perhaps during the summer when gas engineers are traditionally less busy.

But what are the relevant lengths?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its nice to find somebody who takes the time to read what we say and to reply and comment where appropriate and to thank us for our help!

We still dont know what the length of 22 mm pipe to the boiler is and how much of that is in the accessable garage part.

I always like installations to be as correct as possible so my preference would be that its upgraded to 28 mm in the garage, perhaps during the summer when gas engineers are traditionally less busy.

But what are the relevant lengths?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Credit where credit is due in my opinion.

I'm not sure of the total length of piping used, but it is quite a length as the meter and boiler are at opposite corners of the house ... possibly 18m in total length (only a guess though). The garage length is around 3m of this.

I completely understand that this 3m length is insignificant in comparison to the total length of piping used, but I suppose my dillema is that given the pressures are acceptable for the boiler to work then is there any advantage in replacing the total length of piping? In fact given 3m out of 18m is so little, then is there any point of doing this work in the garage?

My other question Tony is whether the boiler should have ever been commissioned with 22mm piping, even though the pressures were correct at the time? I suppose that I would have never known about the potential issues around 22mm piping had the blockage at the meter not happened - I would have just carried on oblivious to the possible problem.

Thanks as always.

A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back