Vaillant AquaPlus 362-7 Tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Summary : when boiler fires to give HW or CH it trips RCD.

Backstory:
> RCD within electric box contains 2xsockets (ground floor, first/second floor), 2xshower (first floor, second floor) + main switch.
> Main switch is tripping when boiler fires, but as expecting tripping all sockets and showers (but not the individual RCDs for shower/sockets)
> Only recent change is 2x wall sockets in neighbouring room to boiler (boiler is on first floor).
> I've gone back over the sockets in the neighbouring room (wondering if its an issue with grounding earth) but all looks ok.
> Gone round whole property and unplugged any appliances, and only thing on the electrical system is the boiler...and it trips.
> Boiler can remain ON, so lit lamp and temp. on LCD gauge without trip. Only then trips when demand for HT or CH.

Possible options:
> Pump - i've had problems with the pump since moving in, with repeat F24 errors (lack of flow). I've been meaning to rip the pump out and go over it for gunk or even replace it completely. Could this stalling be overloading the circuit?
> PCB - has had a new PCB about 4 years ago, after the last one failed and i was trying to determine the F24 errors at the time. Could be this failed again?
> N-E grounding issue - i've run load through the replaced sockets - electric heater a 2kW and no problems, but could it be reversed polarity or something funny like that (only possibility after reading other posts).

Any directions to look into would be mega appreciated!

Sponsored Links

If i need to isolate the pump & boiler where is best on the pipework in images to do this? ideally i want minimal water loss from the system overall, i'll kill the cold feed into the property, and i'll look the water in the storage tank within the boiler, but ideally don't want to lose all water from the CH too...

Checked pump thru access screw and turns freely...

Is the pump internal to the boiler or external?

Sponsored Links
images (1).jpeg

Rough layout inside

The pump is driven from the motherboard, turn off the power to the boiler and unplug the pump, then try again, doe the rcd trip?

Ok will give it a go in a mo, I know the boiler sits ON no problem at all until there is a demand for HW or CH.
Is the pump not the first thing to kick in when I put demand on?

It should be, pump, fan, gas valve in that order

Sweet will try your disconnect first. When does the diverter valve or sensors start to come into play? Take it if the pumps nailed it'll be that causing an Amp draw and pop the RCD

It's easy to disconnect the diverter valve to eliminate it first if you wish, have a good look at the PCB for scorch marks or blown components while you are there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back