Vaillant Boiler Clicking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a problem with my vaillant boiler, it isn’t a combi boiler as I have a water tank upstairs.

It seems to make an extremely loud noise now and again, in the form of what sounds like a few clicks, and water emptying from the boiler. This will last around ten seconds. The display says it is up to 104 degrees, which I am unsure as to why as I haven’t sent it to even reach beyond 75.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Model?
What does the pressure gauge show?
Is the filling loop open or failing (the Ecotecs are hopeless).

Thanks for the rreply

It is an eco fit pure, and it’s just come up with an error code F83. I reset the boiler an hour ago!

It sounds like a circulation problem...either insufficient system pressure (or iffy sensor), failed pump etc.
What pressure does the display show...
The pressure sensors on all Vaillants are not known for their quality.

Sponsored Links
You might want to check the smaller of the two tanks in the loft for water.

Vaillant are asking me to get a hive heating engineer to check the configuration first to ensure there isn’t a miscommunication, could that be a possible problem?

Ah, I mis-read that it was a combi.
Is this a heat only or system boiler?
Where is the water leaking from the boiler?

I believe it is a system boiler. In in terms of leaking, it’s not physically coming out anywhere. Stood next to the boiler unit downstairs, it sounds like it’s emptying or filling with water.

Stood upstairs next to the water tank it sounds like a war zone when it clicks, thuds etc. I am wondering whether it’s something to do with hive?...i read the thermostat should be more than 30cm from the water tank?...previous owner installed it and it’s only about 10cm from the tank. Would this cause a problem?

Thanks

Vaillant are asking me to get a hive heating engineer to check the configuration first to ensure there isn’t a miscommunication, could that be a possible problem?

Highly unlikely

Ok so if it’s a system boiler, you will have a pressure gauge and a filling loop. Has the loop been left open? And what is the current pressure. Are the flow and return valves open? Could be a fault on a motorised valve. A picture often tells a 1000 words. If it’s open vented refer to post number 5.

Last edited:
I can’t see a filling loop, the underneath of the boiler looks like this (see picture).
82927446-1398-49A0-876F-1BB5F0FCE554.jpeg

Hive central heating is set to 15 degree, it’s currently 19 in the house yet the boiler is still firing up the central heating, boiler temperature then goes rapidly from 75 to 104 and then cuts out with the egg timer and that terrible noise from what I can only describe as a war zone.

Does this help?

Really appreciate it

thanks

You've got a heat only boiler ( a system boiler would contain a pump, expansion vessel, pressure sensor, pressure relief valve etc).
Have a look in the airing cupboard near the cylinder...you might find the pump, zone valves, pressure gauge and filling loop (if it's a sealed system).
Post pics...

Ok with the hive off, you’re getting a demand from elsewhere. You may have a stuck motorised valve or a link left in the boiler (which can be quite common), but please do not remove the cover to find this out. What pipes do you have coming from the top of the boiler? Do you know what the pressure is if it has a gauge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back