Vaillant boiler not firing up for CH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my mother has a Vaillant combi boiler VCW GB 221 H.

It is intermittently having problems firing up when putting the CH on.

If I start up from completely off.

Pilot light ignites ok.
Hot water system fires up every time when the taps are turned on.

When the CH is turned on the pump starts to run but the boiler does not fire up.

There is no external thermostat in the house.

When the CH does fire up the internal thermostatic control seems to work ok as the sytem fires up and shuts down as the temperature guage reaches its limits depending on what level heat the CH temp is set to.

I do not really know what I do to get it going again when she has a problem, but by turning on and off it seems to come on again eventually.

I realise that there is not much I can do myself but as an engineer I would like to have a look for anything obvious before calling in any help.

If anyone has a manual for this model it would be gratefully received.

Thank you very much for any time and help that is forwarded my way.

Greg.

Sponsored Links
There is a timed delay on this boiler to go back to CH after hot water has been used but probable cause is thin tubes from pump to diverter valve are blocked and not allowing diverter valve to move back onto microswitches for CH.

For Expert Solution Call Manufacturer (Vaillant) on 0870 6060777 and ask for Fixed Price Repair for around £200 includes parts and labour and 6 months gauruntee

Vaillant Engineer said:
For Expert Solution Call Manufacturer (Vaillant) on 0870 6060777 and ask for Fixed Price Repair for around £200 includes parts and labour and 6 months gauruntee

£200 to unblock the pipes................criminal.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant Engineer said:
There is a timed delay on this boiler to go back to CH after hot water has been used but probable cause is thin tubes from pump to diverter valve are blocked and not allowing diverter valve to move back onto microswitches for CH.

:rolleyes:

Diverter valve is on the right - goes one way (Right?)for HW and other for CH. Bits of metal and adjustable doodahs operate microswitches.
If you push the mechanism (in is hard) you can operate it manually. Check switches, and movement and return each way is smart, when demands made.
Put your email in your Profile and somebody may send you a manual.

Plenty on the forum if you search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back