Vaillant Combi Boiler Noise

The installer should not have fitted the boiler if the supply pipe is dropping more than 1 mbar.

But the Vaillant boilers do apparently drop up to 3.5 mbars internally so that can allow a total of 4.5 mbars from meter to test point.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info

So the pressure at the meter should be 20.5 then if it is 16mb at the boiler. If it higher than this, say 23mb would I need to consider at increasing the incoming pipe? Can't say for sure if there is 28mm coming in at any point can only see 22mm before going behind a partition

I saw another post which looks similar to my situation which suggested it was not mission critical if the working pressure at the boiler is being achieved?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=171566

I did test yesterday with boiler fire and cooker all running and power output looked ok.

Ok let's make some sense of this.

The boiler requires a nominal 20mb working gas supply at the boiler isolation valve, ie the end of your gas supply pipework before it enters the appliance. The only way to measure this is to cut a tee in with a test point before the isolation valve. This pressure should be at most 1mb less than the measured working pressure at the gas meter test point. As this can quite legally be 19mb, 18mb measured at the point it enters the appliance is the minimum allowed. Taking into account the drop through the internal gas anaconda, gas valve and in built filter, this equates to 15mb measured at the gas valve inlet test point. The confusion arises because the test point is not actually at the appliance inlet, its a way along the gas 'train'.

The pressure measured at the gas meter depends on a lot of things. What is the actual district supply pressure? It could be 22mb at the ECV, it could be 72mb, who knows. It could be a E6, a U6, all with different losses across the meter. That's why gas rating the boiler is important.

In the case here the noise has NOTHING to do with the working pressure being marginal. In fact the boiler should be very slightly quieter if the heat input was less than it should be. As we've all said before its debris in the main heat exchanger. Basic. :rolleyes:

The boiler requires a nominal 20mb working gas supply at the boiler isolation valve, ie the end of your gas supply pipework before it enters the appliance. The only way to measure this is to cut a tee in with a test point before the isolation valve. This pressure should be at most 1mb less than the measured working pressure at the gas meter test point. As this can quite legally be 19mb, 18mb measured at the point it enters the appliance is the minimum allowed. Taking into account the drop through the internal gas anaconda, gas valve and in built filter, this equates to 15mb measured at the gas valve inlet test point. The confusion arises because the test point is not actually at the appliance inlet, its a way along the gas 'train'.

The pressure measured at the gas meter depends on a lot of things. What is the actual district supply pressure? It could be 22mb at the ECV, it could be 72mb, who knows. It could be a E6, a U6, all with different losses across the meter. That's why gas rating the boiler is important.

In the case here the noise has NOTHING to do with the working pressure being marginal. In fact the boiler should be very slightly quieter if the heat input was less than it should be. As we've all said before its debris in the main heat exchanger. Basic. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply and clarifying

I was not suggesting the pressure was causing the noise problem, just trying to check if a safety issue or not

Sponsored Links

Thanks for the reply

I was not suggesting the pressure was causing the noise problem, just trying to check if a safety issue or not

No problem Dav0. Good to know it appears to be in to standard. Quite a few 637/837s are not gas supply wise. I'm not the gas engineer on site, but there should be no warning notices issued given that the info you gave us is correct.

Hope you get it sorted ;)

Unfortunately still waiting for BG to arrive, someone had put in the system they had attended site and solved the problem yesterday, which obviously they did not, only found out when I phoned as they had not arrived!

To be fair to BG they have been very good with me in the past but this experience has been somewhat frustrating. This will be 5th visit in a week......

You say the boiler is 3 years old? , possible that this model has the rubber hoses (later Mk1 ecotec did away with the rubber hoses) , have the hoses been checked for restriction/blockage? , would be my first port of call.

Count yourself lucky that you have not 1 but 3 bunnys giving you advise. ;)

there may be a diagnostic to initiate full rate burn.

Yes there is and had you been familiar with these boilers then you would know , same would apply with regard to the updated MI's. :D

I would expect a boiler this old to achieve bang on it's designed rate of 37kW.

Again had you been familiar with these boilers then this may not be the case.

BG just left

Engineer and senior engineer were here for over an hour but are stumped. Spoke to Vaillant helpline and they thought circulation issue but according to the guys the noise is higher up. :?:

They checked heat exchanger which seems clean, boiler has copper pipe not rubber hoses. Think it is combustion issue, maybe problem with the burner.

BG are going to get Vaillant to come out and and look at it but don't yet have a date :cry: What a mare, heading for visit number six!

They have turned CO2 down to 8 just now (suggested by Vaillant) as that reduces rattling a little bit

BTW Gas at meter 21mb and 16mb at boiler.

there may be a diagnostic to initiate full rate burn.

Yes there is and had you been familiar with these boilers then you would know , same would apply with regard to the updated MI's. :D

I would expect a boiler this old to achieve bang on it's designed rate of 37kW.

Again had you been familiar with these boilers then this may not be the case.

I'm not a big company service engineer doing Vaillants on a regular basis, and they're not my preferred model for installation either. I didn't say I was thoroughly familiar with this boiler. I was pointing out there may be a safety issue with his installation. And from the info I had available at the time, from Vaillant's own website, I was advising correctly iaw GIUSP. Therefore, it would be appreciated if certain posters on this thread would get off your fooking soap boxes. I've already made it clear I'm self employed. I don't have the tech support of a larger company. And I don't come across many newer Vaillants.
If I was on site, and had 15mb at the test point, I'd be on to Vaillant tech to ask why. I was unaware the drop from boiler inlet to the test point was so high. And the fact they don't achieve full gas rate at 3 years old.
Surely within -10, +5 though?

Again, my thanks to The831Bunny, who provides information about these boilers without the contempt in his posts.

I was trying to help the OP with a possible safety issue, which is what I also try to do with my customers at work. I wouldn't be in business long if I didn't. And some of the replies on this thread are more about being a clever dick at my expense than being helpful.

Soap box? contempt? ............just stating facts thats all. :confused:

Well I was just givin u advice, I am also independent self employed, I'm sorry if u thought I was being bolshy :D that was not the intention, just pointing out facts, mr 831 is very good at gettin his point over, but u told me I was wrong , I wasn't you said I work for BG I don't... It's just important to get the facts right, an if you start laying the law down an ranting about stuff u gotter be sure of ur ground. An goin back to the original fault why didn't BG do there job an change that bloody ht exch? An as for technical saying turn down to 8% co2 that just about sums them up.. :rolleyes:

Fair enough. I didn't say you were BG though. I asked you if you were BG, mainly to be bolshy :eek: if the truth be known :mrgreen:

Lol! We will leave it there then, I hope the op keeps this thread if your watching this please post the outcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back