Vaillant Combi Boiler Noise

We all know the outcome, if three of you bunny guys say there's sh*t in the heat exchanger it doesn't really matter what BG say, as long as they clean the bleedin heat exchanger. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
BG just left

They have turned CO2 down to 8 just now (suggested by Vaillant) as that reduces rattling a little bit

Suggested by Vaillant? 8%? , that b i t c h is gonna howl like a dog. :rolleyes:

Is there a prize for predicting the correct fault :)

I am guessing the BG guys are passing the buck in case they fit an expensive part that doesnt solve the problem, I wonder whether they have targets to hit. The BG Engineer has just not filled me with confidence and restricting the cold water feed to try and mask an issue is not on really.

Just hope the vaillant guy knows what he is doing, brings the right parts and sorts it on Monday, this will be the 6th visit in a week and I am getting a bit cheesed off now, 3 of those visits BG have only scratched their heads without deciding to do anything.

Will let you know outcome. Thanks for all the comments so far.

The reason they don't want to fit it is it's a bit difficult, it's easier to pass it on to the next bloke, the Vaillant engineer can't do this as there's probably only one for miles!

Sponsored Links
Quick update.

Vaillant engineer arrived, decided within 2 mins that new heat exchanger and pump required.

Guy back tomorrow to fit parts. Hopefully that will resolve the problem, certainly a lot of money he reckoned about £800 worth of work.

He thinks it is likely that water quality is likely to be the problem and if so a power flush would be required to guarantee the parts installed.

Guess we have to wait and see but if I was a betting man would expect him to say powerflush required and BG would withdraw cover for the boiler.

BG have already advised that it would be about £600 which is more than I would expect an independent RGI to charge but they have us a bit over a barrel. I do not think BG would accept someone else to carry out the powerflush and them to warrant the boiler after that and I don't think you can negotiate with them?

Just have to wait and see tomorrow I guess

Will post back then and see if the bunnys' won the coconut or not!

Ian

garunteed the bunny's won the coconut, my advice though is that a flush is not always what is required!

put it down to experiance if you wish but "clean" systems can still cause this fault because as much as those independant guys flush a system (b.g or other larger companies included) you cannot get all the crap out of a system, best advice would be looking at some sort of MAGNETIC filter on the return to your boiler (if the water is clean) to stop the the crap from entering your unit!

bolshy if your post refer's to my "unhelpfull post" then i appologise if i offended you but as i know the reduced inlet pressure wouldn't have been the problem then i retorted with my general "building site" answer, sorry if it offended you but if you are in the trade then you will be used to this sort of thing!

Hopefully last post on this particular subject, fingers crossed

Vaillant guys replaced main heat exchanger and pump today and seems to be a success. Boiler seems quieter than what is was before the problems started?

Engineer checked water quality and said there was nothing he could see that would have caused the noise problem (he showed me the water, pretty clear). He asked how long the magnaclean had been on and I told him since day one. He did not see any reason that a powerflush would be required and there was nothing apparent in the system that caused the HEX failure unless the possibly dosing of the system at install wasn't done correctly? He said no reason to test the water unless the part failed again in the short term, then they would have to think again. He suggested it just could have been a random failure, here is hoping! So boiler is still covered by the BG plan which is a result!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, certainly helped me get a better understanding of my heating system, so very much appreciated. To all those RGI's who give free time and advice on the forum, keep up the good work.

Thanks again

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back