Vaillant combi boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hope one of you good people can help. We have a Vaillant ecoTec Pro boiler, it's about six years old.

Today, for the first time, it's started acting up. By that I mean it's heating the radiators even though the portable thermostat thing that sits down here shows that the temperature is fine.

Additionally, there is no little flame on the thermostat to show that the boiler should be working when it's humming away upstairs.

It was serviced in July.

Now I'm more than happy to be in a position where I have heat as opposed to none at this time of year.......but can anyone shed any light on what might be up?

There are no fault codes on the boiler......it just seems to be doing its own thing.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Is there the option to "reboot" the boiler in case it's just having a moment?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. There is a "reset", but I can't remember what it is on this one. Probably turn a knob to the extreme right or left and hold for 3 seconds. Will be in the instructions available on-line.
2. If you can't find the reset, turn it off at the mains, then on again.
3. Typically, the fault you have suggests the diverter valve inside the boiler is not opening / closing properly. It diverts the hot water from the radiator circuit round the secondary heat exchanger to heat water when called for.
4. If the reset doesn't work you will need a GSR service engineer.

Reset is a picture of a flame with a cross through it, circular and near the digital display, sounds like a diverter issue, but it can be a faulty timer. Is it firing up for heating, or just heating radiators periodically?

Reset is a picture of a flame with a cross through it, circular and near the digital display, sounds like a diverter issue, but it can be a faulty timer. Is it firing up for heating, or just heating radiators periodically?

It's just coming on randomly and heating the radiators. Woke up at 1a.m this morning really warm and realised the radiators were hot so it was going in the middle of the night!

We even took the batteries out of the little device we have downstairs but the boiler still does its own thing.

It seems to have gone rogue on me :)

Sponsored Links
It won’t be the thermostat. It’s either the clock or the diverter valve. The clock you can replace yourself the diverter you can’t. To test if it’s the diverter valve, wait until system is cold, run the hot tap and feel the flow pipe (the 1st pipe on the left underneath the boiler), if this starts to get hot - call a gas safe registered engineer to come and renew your diverter valve, if it doesn’t, I’d be looking at replacing the clock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back