vaillant condensing boiler eco tec plus 418

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have had a Vaillant condensing eco tec plus 418 installed 2 days ago.
when i pull down the bottom lid,there is a knob to turn it up(-or+),and it will only go to 65C.
I live in a 2 bedroom bungalow unattached.
Had the water on for 1 hour,and the water is not very warm at all.it is an open vent condensing boiler.
my question is,what KW should i have for this 2 bedroom bungalow?
Is 65C enough to get the water hot quick?
the storage tank thermostat is on 80C.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it is a 418 then you should have a cylinder for hot water this should have a thermostat on it where the hot water temp can be adjusted

if there are 2 knobs on your boiler, disregard the top one [with tap symbol]. use other one that goes up to 75 degrees. top one is does nothing unless you have vaillant cylinder. cyl stat should be set to 60. boiler is big enough

if there are 2 knobs on your boiler, disregard the top one [with tap symbol]. use other one that goes up to 75 degrees. top one is does nothing unless you have vaillant cylinder. cyl stat should be set to 60. boiler is big enough
paulybaby
i have a storage tank.
Also i have tried the bottom knob,which is for the central heating,and it does go up to 75C.
But does that mean the water will go to 75C as well?
My storage tank thermostat is on 80 because the water wasnt getting really hot.
It used to be on 60 for my old netaheat boiler,and the water really was boiling.

Sponsored Links
confusingly, vaillant use same facia on combis,[that supply hot water without cylinder direct from boiler] and on heat only boilers. set the lower knob to 65/70, and cyl stat to 60, if water circulating properly, you will get hot water limited to 60 by cyl stat ;)

confusingly, vaillant use same facia on combis,[that supply hot water without cylinder direct from boiler] and on heat only boilers. set the lower knob to 65/70, and cyl stat to 60, if water circulating properly, you will get hot water limited to 60 by cyl stat ;)
paulybaby
I will ignore the top knob then,and put tank to 60c.
When i did put the water on before,it was only staying on for about 1 minute,then waiting for about 3minutes,(the plumber said something about he had plumbed in a return pipe,so the boiler gets rid of the heat before it comes on again,which it does come on again)
What im worried about is that the boiler isnt staying on for more than 1 minute at one time
Is that how it should be?
Appreciatte your help here.

boiler does have a built in delay so it will take some time to fire again,however, the boiler should rate right down so it stays on at low output, perhaps there is air in system. [being newly installed]. run c/h &hw for 20 mins to try and clear, call back installer if no better :eek:

boiler does have a built in delay so it will take some time to fire again,however, the boiler should rate right down so it stays on at low output, perhaps there is air in system. [being newly installed]. run c/h &hw for 20 mins to try and clear, call back installer if no better :eek:
paulybaby.
It turns out that he has put in the wrong boiler,418 open vent.
he did tell me he was putting in a 428 open vent in the beginning.
i phoned him up last wednesday,that he had put in the wrong boiler,and his words were"they havent given me the wrong boiler,have they,they will have to compensate me for it"
he said he would change it,i also phoned him thursday to see what was happening,he said he was waiting for it to come in.
since then no word from him,and no hot water.
also i have paid him.
what is my course of action i can use to get him to do this exchange,even if it means going to court,which i dont really want to.

418 should be more than adequate for a 2 bed bungalow. 428 would be far to big and actually cause you more problems not solve them. Turn on hot water only and your boiler should fire, and modulate down to a low flame until the circuit is up to temp. If it fires for a min and then goes off again, you have a problem, either something simple like air or something more problematic like a blockage or incorrect pipework. Was any pipework altered other than those for the boiler?

418 should be more than adequate for a 2 bed bungalow. 428 would be far to big and actually cause you more problems not solve them. Turn on hot water only and your boiler should fire, and modulate down to a low flame until the circuit is up to temp. If it fires for a min and then goes off again, you have a problem, either something simple like air or something more problematic like a blockage or incorrect pipework. Was any pipework altered other than those for the boiler?
mickyg
sequence on turn on hot water as you said.
turn on hot water,in the small window,flame icon appears top left of window.
stays on 1 minute then flame icon disappears.
waits for 3 minutes,then flame icon appears,then goes off again after 1 minute.
the third time after waiting 3 minutes,flame appears,and in bottom right hand corner,is like an egg timer icon.
it does stay on for a couple of minutes longer.
it has gone through this same process for 1 hour,and the water is only warm,i could drink it.
how long should it take to give me really hot water if it is working properly?boiler at 70c,storage tank thermostat 60c.
thanks.

You have a circulation problem on the hot water side. I'm assuming this doesn't do this on heating?
If so as said, you could have air, blockage or incorrectly installed pipework.
Your installer needs to come back and rectify this problem.

Working properly you should have a full tank of hot water within an hour normally, dependant on cylinder.

You have a circulation problem on the hot water side. I'm assuming this doesn't do this on heating?
If so as said, you could have air, blockage or incorrectly installed pipework.
Your installer needs to come back and rectify this problem.

Working properly you should have a full tank of hot water within an hour normally, dependant on cylinder.
mickyg.
Thanks for your answers,i will get the plumber back,and check the installed pipes.

mickyg.
Been thinking what you said about if i get the plumber to change to the 428(as he said he would do in the first place,instead of the 418).
you did say that it would create more problems for me.
could you tell why it would create more problems for me?as if that is the case,i will tell him to come and get the 418 working properly.
Thanks.

even the largest of bungalows would only require in the region of 18kw as the 418 is capable of.

The range rating of the 418 will allow it to run a lower min rate than a 428.

This means that the boiler will be able to run for longer periods and not cycle as much.

Best to get your installer back. If not ring Vaillant and get them to send an engineer out.

even the largest of bungalows would only require in the region of 18kw as the 418 is capable of.

The range rating of the 418 will allow it to run a lower min rate than a 428.

This means that the boiler will be able to run for longer periods and not cycle as much.

Best to get your installer back. If not ring Vaillant and get them to send an engineer out.

basically more or less what he said :D Also, running an over rated boiler on a small system in worst case can give you noise, overheating and locking out issues and your boiler will be very unhappy with its flow and return temps :/
Don't bother phoning vaillant, they will not be interested in your circulation problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back