Vaillant Eco Tec Plus 831 - Frost Protection needed?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I would be grateful if someone here can help me please - I have been struggling to find out anything for the last 2 years...

I have a 3-yr old Vaillant Eco 831 condensing combi boiler and I live in a purpose built block of flats (not on the top or ground floor). Obviously I am worried about frozen pipes as it has been extremely cold in the last few winters....

The thing is that I can't see any exposed pipes from my boiler apart from a vent (circle shape which steam comes out) and it appears that all the pipes are inside the walls.

In addition, even when it was (i think) -2 degrees outside, it's still around 11 degrees in door . Earlier on this morning it was 6 degrees outside, and 16.5 in door (probably 1-3 degrees lower in the kitchen where the boiler is).

Given the above, is it ok for me to simply switch off the boiler completely (i.e. not even need the frost protection thing which kicks in automatically at 5 degrees) if I am say going away for a few days or even switched it off entirely during the winter period?

Many many thanks

Sponsored Links
Leave the boiler turned on, and turn down your Central Heating and Hot Water temperature selectors to their lowest settings.

Also turn off your clock and turn down your Room Thermostat if you have one.

This should prevent the boiler firing to give you a boost for running taps, and should keep the heating turned off.

You do not want to turn off the power, as if the boiler does need to cycle, to prevent freezing, it won't be able to.

The boiler has an anti-freeze cycle for a reason.

Sponsored Links
if you dont keep an unoccupied house at a minimum of 10C you may find your home insurance void in case of pipe bursts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back