Vaillant ecoMax 800

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a slow depressurising leak. The drop from 1.5 bar to 0.5 took about 6 to 8 hours. Valliant engineer has found no leak on boiler and claims its in the pipework. I am not sure how he could detect a "no drop" in about half an hour when its so slow.
Trouble is its so slow that any water will evaporate on hot pipes as soon as it appears. I thought I could feel a bit of water around the PRV but he said it was from the condensate drip which is a load of fanny as its alongside and not below it. Anyway he claims to have replaced the PRV and washer but he still recorded a No fault Found which means that the insurance wont cover it of course.
The fact that the drop is slower when hot would seem to suggest an expansion differential eg copper against steel or brass and logically at the rads or taps and not soldered joints.
How does one check every joint in the house for a very slow leak. Its driving me mad.

Sponsored Links
stick the pressure on 2 2/ 1/2 bar

that should find it no higher tho ;)

you could also try closing the isolaters under the boiler for a couple of hours

no drop it aint the boiler

when you open them if it drops its the pipework etc ;)

Pull the caps off the rad valves and wipe your finger around the joints when the system is cold.

you could also try closing the isolaters under the boiler for a couple of hours

i wouldnt recommend that on this particular boiler. Possible you might find yourself an increase in pressure loss afterwards ;)

Stick a bag over the PRV pipe just to be sure about this. After 1bar loss you should have a decent amount of water in there.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all you sad bast**** with nothing better to do on a weekend. I appreciate it guys. Being an old retired engineer and general smartass who had been working with hydraulic valves and pipework before the Gas Safe wizard who checked my boiler was born ,I was pretty sure it was the PRV but he wouldnt have it. This afternoon in a mixture of frustration and intuition ,I gave the prv knob a fairly brutal tweak and release. It snapped shut smartly and bingo. So far so good the pressure has now been stable for 14 hours. Thank God I dont now have to check all my pipework. I appreciate all the helpful advice though guys ,this is a bonzer forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back