Vaillant ecotec 415 s.30 question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My dad's heating suddenly packed up on Thursday, of course just as the temperature really dropped. It's intermittent and will work about 20% of the time but mostly it won't.
The ecotec 415 is about 10-15 years old and has been serviced regularly, almost every year like clockwork. The display status lists S.30 which I have found in the manual as "Room thermostat is blocking heating mode." Before calling out an engineer I checked the basics like the thermostat (Drayton RTS9) and confirmed that it is switching 230v to the boiler when the call for heat indicator is lit. I then removed cable 4 from the boiler's control block and linked terminals 3 & 4 to override the external controls and to attempt to force it to fire in heating mode. Nothing changed and S.30 was still displayed on the panel.

I then had a Vaillant authorised company out on Saturday morning but of course it decided to work perfectly and he couldn't find any faults anywhere. He spent a good hour checking the stat, programmer, diverter valves, etc and reported that everything tested as expected.

I am technical in nature and by day job. This is clearly an electronics issue rather than gas and so I don't mind having a look within reason. If I can arrange to be there when the system is not working, is there anything in particular anyone can suggest that I should check with a meter? In my, what I think is a reasonably logical, mind if linking terminals 3 & 4 is supposed to force the boiler to fire in heating mode but it doesn't, that indicates an issue with the boiler's internal control logic, no? Happy to be corrected!!!!

Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
I know everyone thinks that it’s not gas work because the gasway isn’t being broken into, however the component failure is to do with the gas valve and removing the cover forms part of the combustion circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back