Vaillant ecotec combi problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help?

-ive got the vaillant ecotec wall mounted combi. when you put the front panel down, it shows two dials on the left handside, one to adjust temperature of hot water and 1 to control the radiator heat.

the lower of the 2 dials which controls the heat that comes out the radiators, has come loose and i cant now adjust the radiator heat with that dial?!

the actual dial has come loose and i can take it off and theres a red type dial clip come off aswell.

ive tried to refix the dial but it wont stay tight and when i turn it it falls off?! i cant see that anythings snapped off and i dont want to try and pull the hot water dial off just incase i cant get that back on - arrgghhh!!

any help much appreciated as i dont want a massive gas bill come end of the month.

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Consider a change of user names.

Mr Fix It - can't.

Lightning - took 15 mins to turn up.

;)

:rolleyes:

just had a closer look with a torch, and it seems it has snapped, but how do i get the snapped end of the spindle out of the front and i cant get anything in there to pull it out.

do i need to take the whole front panel off? is this easy and simple to do?

Sponsored Links
Yes, isolate mains supply, drop down front control panel, and remove cover for PCB. You will see the potentiometer, remove with a small screw driver.

You can turn the pot. to the setting you want for now. The part you need isn't too dear from Parts Center.

Yes, isolate mains supply, drop down front control panel, and remove cover for PCB. You will see the potentiometer, remove with a small screw driver.

You can turn the pot. to the setting you want for now. The part you need isn't too dear from Parts Center.

finally got the part through the post today, but once i pull the cover down to reveal the dials, i cant see how that section comes off for me to change the dial? do i need to take off the entire front to the boiler?

help. :oops:

The exact same thing on the same dial happened to my Vaillant and only because I turned the dial too quickly. The parts must be cheap and poorly made if it can happen so easily! I'm not exactly built like a gorilla either.

I didn't waste time ordering crap parts, if it happened once then it will most likely happen again if anyone isn't careful enough. I used my usual method of fixing such rubbishy plastic fixings which is to drill into the plastic and insert a piece of metal and then glue it all together.......the result is how they should of been made in the first place and none have yet failed on me.

That doesn't really help you now.

You need to remove the circuit board to get to the potentiometer to push out the broken bit in order to insert the new dial. To do that you do need to remove the boiler cover which lifts off to reveal the inside. Then there are two plastic clips holding the boiler control PCB on each side near the bottom. Be careful with those as well because they don't seem too strong either. The PCB then pulls forward.

The manual that was left by the installer could help if you are in any doubt about removing the cover. It explains how the cover is attached and how to remove it. There might be an online version available if you don't have it.

A tiny screw driver might be required to push out the broken bit inside the potentiometer. Make sure you are doing it on the correct one! There is a thin plastic post which has a larger end as you can see from the replacement part. That needs to be removed in order to be able to push in the replacement knob. When you see it, it should be clear what is required. It clicks into place when the larger end goes into the hole. It's that larger end which fixes and holds the dial inside the potentiometer body. Take it easy when fitting it and don't bend it or it could break off.

I cannot remember exactly how it was or whether this final comment is relevant, however make sure that you only push the replacement knob in when the trim cover is over the potentiometer. Not if the board is away from the trim/outside facing. Once the broken bit is removed, it might be worth pushing it all back together before inserting the replacement because I doubt that you will be able to get the part out again if you make a mistake.

They r made of plastic for a reason so you don't turn it to hard an snap the potentiometer on the pcb an do lots of damage.

Lets hope ur metal bodge don't short out :eek:

A few unreasonable "experts" here being pretty personal calling him names...not nice. You can think it but best not to say it eh?

u idiot they r made of plastic for a reason so ham fisted do it alls like you don't turn it to hard an snap the potentiometer on the pcb an do lots of damage,lets hope ur metal bodge don't short out :eek:
No, it's so Valliant can keep making a good income selling spare parts. That's the reason for making such crap and not to protect a potentiometer, a circuit board, the floor structural supports or world safety itself.

I have a background in electronics so know how strong potentiometers can be and it's highly unlikely to be broken by anything less than someone attempting to rip the damn thing from the circuit board with the cover off and it totally exposed.

My fix won't short anything out because it is a tiny pin sealed inside the plastic with glue. I would draw you a picture to make it crystal clear for you, because you do seem to be having a problem understanding what has been done and your over active imagination is running a mile wide of the mark. However (hopefully) you might be insulted by the two finger salute that I would draw.

You have a real attitude problem. This is meant to be a help forum and you haven't provided any help in this thread so far, only insults.

I hope that Mr Fix It got it sorted out, despite Bunnyman's best efforts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back