Vaillant ecoTEC OR GlowWorm Flexicom to replace old GlowWorm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions...

-------------

Q1.

My current boiler needs replacing and I am looking at the following two standard condensing boilers:

Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 415 ( £607.78 )
GlowWorm Flexicom 15HX ( £543.55 )

The prices are from the BHL website which seems to be a good benchmark. Which of these is the overall best boiler (reliability vs. cost vs. economy vs. anything else you can think of)?

P.S. I'm open to other suggestions but these seem to be the best value for money compared to others but simply looking for a replacement to my current boiler. I've not calculated what size I need but my current boiler is 45000btu (13.19kW) so assumed that 15kW is probably best for my new one.

-------------

Q2.

The boiler is to replace my 1988 GlowWorm Fuelsaver 45F standard non-condensing boiler. I know nothing about installing boilers and will be calling in a professional to do the job.

I want to make sure that the professional doesn't charge me for un-necessary work. The only thing I know that should be done is a "Powerflush" of the system before installing the new boiler. Are there any other possible things that need doing to swap these boilers over?

Sponsored Links
They are both the same boiler (Glow Worm). The only advantage to the Vaillant is better diagnostics and more user friendly interface.

Personally I would go for the Ecotec Plus 615 and change to a sealed system.

It will be supplied from your nearest Plumb Center branch. If you need a standard flue, ask them for a price for 127415. Shouldn't be much more than just the boiler ;)

Thanks Dave,

Is there anything that needs to be done with regards to installing this ecoTEC Plus 615 sealed system boiler?

I'm trying to keep installation costs down and thought that going for a similar standard boiler would be best (i.e. just labour costs for swapping the boilers over)?

Also this is £689.89 on the BHL site so what are the advantages of having this over the ecoTEC Plus 415 standard boiler?

There is a bit more work need to swap to a sealed system and the boiler is more expensive as it contains the pump as well.

It is a more reliable boiler and a sealed system should always outlast an open vented system.

If you stick with the 415/15HXi, you will need to make sure your installer does a VERY good job of cleaning/flushing the old system as these boilers need a high flow rate through them to prevent faulting. You will also need your pump set on max (3 usually) whatever size of system you have to keep the flow rate high.

Sponsored Links
I will be happy if my new boiler lasts half as long as my old one (been there since 1988). I always have it annually serviced which should hopefully keep it going a bit longer.

I have a Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50 pump which I think is on it's max setting at the moment so no change there really.

OK, so let's assume I am going for the ecoTEC Plus 415...

Does an installer need to do any other work than remove old boiler, powerflush, install new boiler? Is there any additional wiring, piping or flue issues, etc?

Just want to get an idea of what the installer will be charging me for (i.e. labour charge for the boiler remove/install and powerflush, cost of chemicals in powerflush, etc.)

Yes sorry moggett, I automatically read it as the 15 HXi :rolleyes: :oops:

In that case definately the 415. Even my Glow Worm rep says forget about the flexicoms' :rolleyes:

You will need a new flue, new wiring, as the pump has to be wired back to the boiler pcb, possibly minor pipe work changes as well.

Depending on what you have now, you will need TRV's fitted to all rads except the one in the room where the room stat is and possibly the system upgrading to fully pumped.

If your HW cylinder is of the same age, then consideration for a new fast recovery cylinder should be looked at.

Very roughly I would expect about £900 + VAT labour charges, plus materials.

If you supply the boiler yourself, then the installer will not offer any warranty on the boiler.

Thanks Dave, that's perfect...

Didn't realise so much needed to be done, but the more I read the more I notice that replacing the boiler also involves a upgrade of many other parts of the central heating system too.

I guess this is a combination of being health and safety compliant, energy efficiency compliant and general upgrading to be compatible with the new boiler.

For once nothing to do with health and safety, just energy efficiency regs.

Shop around for an installer who is Vaillant approved. He, like me and some others on here, may be able to offer an extended warranty for no extra cost if he supplies the boiler.

Personally I would go for the Ecotec Plus 615 and change to a sealed system

I'd also go for the sealed system, they are much better for a number of reasons.

The 615 is a nice boiler (my parents have one). It's much quieter than the ultracom, and it also modulates properly. Sometimes I think there's a little pixie turning the flame up and down in the glowworm, there seems no rhyme nor reason to it.

It is in fact £562.61 (inc. VAT) from the DiscountedHeating website which is the best price I've seen but as has previously been said, warranty requires the engineer to supply and fit.

I will want a warranty so will only be using the price found as a guideline but thanks anyway.

P.S. What is the reasoning behind the warranty only being honoured if supplied and fitted by the engineer. Surely if the engineer is gas-safe registered and boiler is brand new and fitted to regulations then it should be ok?

As long as it is fitted by a GSR engineer the manufacturers warranty is valid.

The point I was making is that if you supply any parts (inc boiler) yourself, then the installer most likely won't offer a personal warranty on them.

You would either have to pay his call out or risk calling in the manufacturers themselves if you though a fault had developed with the boiler.

All those websites you mention will all have your boiler delivered from the same Plumb Center branch.

They are only virtual shops. I used to have one as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back