Vaillant Ecotec Plus 428 Help Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the 1st March 2011 I had an Ecotech 428 boiler fitted by Gas Safe Engineer ID 2517048. However we seem to be experiencing an issue and would welcome your advice on whether we have a problem or if this is standard operating procedure.

The problem we are experiencing is that we are unable to get the radiators up to a temperature. The boiler constantly turns itself off before the radiators become hot or the temperature is reached on the boiler.

The boiler radiator temperature is set to 70ºc, the room thermostat is set at 27ºc (this is a second new room stat and the room thermostat temp is never satisfied by the boiler. A separate digital thermometer indicates the ambient temperature is around 18º) and the pump circulation is set at its fastest setting.

The boiler continually goes through the following sequence:-

1. Boiler fires for 4 minutes and the heating flow temperature rises to 64ºc
2. Boiler stops firing and activates anti cycling mode this runs for 5 minutes
3. Anti cycling mode stops and boiler is now inactive for 2 minutes, heating flow temperature continues to fall to 44ºc
4. Boiler fires and the sequence repeats itself

When the boiler is going through parts 2 and 3 of the sequence I can physically feel the radiators cooling down and after a number of hours the radiators never reach a usable temperature and the house is still cold.

The plumbing engineer has bled all the radiators and the flow in the system is good.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I am desperate to get the system working. The house is a bigish 4 bed detached and at the moment we are running 10 rads.

Cheers Darren

Sponsored Links
Read his last line Mick !

You may need about 16-18 kW.

Why was a 28 kW boiler selected?

Whats the calculated whole house heat loss?

Set d0 in the boiler settings to 18 kW and tell me what the sequence then becomes.

Tony

What's the system pressure? Excess pressure as the system heats up shutting down boiler? Could be failure of expansion vessel.

Sponsored Links
What's the system pressure? Excess pressure as the system heats up shutting down boiler? Could be failure of expansion vessel.

Sparkgap, go back to sleep. Do you know what a 428 Vaillant is?

Press the I button, i would expect you to see the following.
S1, S2, S3, S4, S53.

If so then do as agile suggests,downrate heat output in d0.
Turn pump speed up or replace pump for correctly sized one.

Do you really need it to be open vent,sealed system is slightly more efficient and helps this boiler behave slightly better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back