vaillant ecotec plus 837 error code f76

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help I've had the gas engineer out from Scottish Power out to this fault he said it was due to the boiler being sludged up after taking a discoloured water sample after pointing out that my system had been chemically cleaned 12 months earlier he claimed that it hadn't worked so I contacted the engineer that did the clean he tested the sample with a filter magnet all Ok second Scottish Power engineer came out agreed that the boiler wasn't sludged up and that the thermal fuse was faulty this we found out can not be purchased separately from the heat exchanger at a cost of around £500 and Scottish Power will not cover it through the insurance my engineer has proved it is the fuse by bypassing it temporarily and the boiler works fine no noises is there anything like aftermarket fuses or any help in dealing with claiming off Scottish power[/quote]

Sponsored Links
On what grounds are they refusing the repair? The British Gas T's & C's mention £1000 repair cost. But replacing the HEX on ecoTec shouldn't cost that much.

Lewney, you need to tell us EXACTLY what boiler cover you have purchased and why they are apparently refusing to cover you.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The cover is one you get for having you gas and electricity with them we also sell them our solar energy

Page 5 is data protection stuff.

Page 3 has the £500 limit.

In which case you are screwed.

Several clauses of section 4 have you bent over.

in Jan 2018 I also had the dreaded F76 fault code appear on our Vaillant ecoTEC 630 +. I was also able to restart /relight boiler on a few occasions which stayed on for progressively shorter periods of times over a couple of days. I called out local heating company who claimed Vaillant 'accreditation' and who diagnosed (correctly) a failed thermal fuse which is not a replaceable part (for safety reasons). I was advised that the heat exchange needed to be replaced with an estimated cost of replacement at over £1k inc parts/labour. He then advised me that a new boiler was my best option (@ £1.6K -£1.8k inc fitting).

Anyway I decided to get a second opinion from Valliant directly. I told them the boiler was already broken and to my surprise they were happy to offer me their Platinum breakdown cover @ £250 for 6 month cover which covered me for any repair required up to a total of £1500 during the 6 month period. Needless to say I almost bit their hand off and I signed up.

The Vaillant engineer came out within 24 hours , he replaced the heat exchanger, upgraded a number of internal pipes as a preventative measure , he replaced the water pressure/flow sensor , he replaced the 10 liter expansion tank which wasn't holding the required 1 bar pressure ,he swapped out the (unreliable) Wilo pump for a (more reliable) Grunfoss pump and he recommissioned the system all in less than 2 hours. Had i purchased all these parts individually it would have cost me in excess of £800 and the fitting/labour would be in addition. So I have almost an entirely new/reconditioned boiler and all it cost me was £250. I am delighted with Vaillant beyond my wildest expectations. Their customer service was outstanding.

My (maybe cynical) view now is that I think that most local heating companies are aware of this Vaillant breakdown cover but they don't want you to know about it as they would much prefer that you deal directly with them so that they can charge you a small fortune for parts/labour repair. Had i not contacted Vaillant directly for a 2nd opinion , then I would have probably gone with the advice of the local heating company and replaced the boiler - so by contacting Vaillant I saved myself £1.5k.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/f76-error-code-valliant-ecotechpro-boiler.118797/#ixzz56e74GnSh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back