Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 Condensate question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Again All.

After my old troublesome heating setup, I finally had a complete
new instalation with a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 boiler.
Despite the installers best attempts, due to the very long route outside my house,the condensate froze.
I have now (after a lot of effort, run it inside).

When it DID freeze, the condensate backed up to the stub just below the boiler. The original condensate pipe was slipped loosely over the stub.
As the water filled to the top of the pipe, it then dribbled back down the outside.

This was spotted fairly quickly and a bucket put underneath......All OK.

I have completed my new condensate run in a similar fashion.
ie, with a loose fitting pipe, NOT sealed.

Should I actually SEAL the condensate pipe so that in the event of water backing up the pipe, it will stay IN the boiler? Is there some kind of automatic shut off on this type of boiler?
How does this work? Will it just end up inside the boiler and bugger it up?

Hopefully, this should now never occur with the new condensate run but in the event of this happening, which is best?
Dribble back down the outside of the pipe or
Back up inside boiler to (hopefully) close down?

Many Thanks as always for any answers.

Ian.

Sponsored Links
I would always like to use the unsealed joint as long as the user is made aware and not in a position likely to cause damage.

The boiler will eventually turn off if condensate backs up.

But that can cause corrosion and I dont think its good to let that happen.

Most boilers used to have an electronic interlock to prevent the boiler firing with backed up condensate but thats been left out on most models now.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back