Vaillant Ecotec pro pump failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is my first post here so please be gentle.

I have a Vaillant ecotec pro combi boiler and as is the way the pump packed in on christmas morning.
The boiler is about four years old so well outside of the warrenty period.
What I would like to know is can I replace the pump with a different make such as Wilo

I've been looking at the B&Q site and seen these are these sort of thing suitable, or do I have to go to vaillant.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1261814559368&isSearch=true

Thanking you in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
If I remember correctly, Vaillant use Grundfos pumps so it is usually possible to just change the head.

Grundfoss 15/60 & as Griggs says just swap the head over, also don't be tempted to get the cheaper 15/50 pump the boiler wont like it.

Hi again
Thanks for your quick responses, excuse my ignorance but to just change the head is that a matter of just releasing the four allen bolts.
Is this the style that you mean?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67637...umps/Grundfos-15-60-Domestic-Circulating-Pump

Also i've read that it is worth putting an in line cleaner, magnatec, in the system, is this any good?

Thanks again during this festive but chilly period

Sponsored Links
Hi again
Thanks for your quick responses, excuse my ignorance but to just change the head is that a matter of just releasing the four allen bolts.
Yes that's all you need to do & that's the right pump for the job.

Hi again

after you isolate and drain the boiler

or your gonna get wet :idea:

Again daft as it sounds, do I have to split the grundfos pump as the pictures don@t seem to look like the pump in mine. The pipe connections look different. Or is it just my eyes?

Back again, thanks for all your responses so far.
I just want to double check that the pump has gone.

I disconnected the pumps electrics from the boiler and connected it directly to a mains feed so it wasn't effected by any of the boiler circuitry.

When I switched the mains on all I got from the pump was a very low hum, no sounds of movement or anything.
Does this confirm that the pump has passed over to the great boiler in the sky?

You need to see if the impeller shaft is turning, big screw in the centre?

It could just be the capacitor failed although thats unusual on a grunfoss.

Tony

You need to see if the impeller shaft is turning, big screw in the centre?

It could just be the capacitor failed although thats unusual on a grunfoss.

Tony

Can a capacitor on a pump be changed when it fails

Hi Tony
I've had the screw out of the front when the system was drained and could turn the impellor with a screwdriver and it span freely. Also the pump isn't a grunfos it's the original vaillant one that was fitted to the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back