1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaillant multiMATIC 700/5 + ambiSENSE - how to make it work?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Blyskacz, 9 Sep 2019.

1. Blyskacz

Blyskacz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All

I had combi boiler Vaillant 843 installed recently together with internet gateway VR 920 and multiMATIC VRC 700/5. Above configuration worked as planned with VRC configured as a standard room thermostat and could be controlled via VRC700 app.
    In the next step I added 3x ambiSENSE thermostat valves to radiators in the bedrooms upstairs.
    After adding them to the system via VRC700 app I lost access to multiMATIC vrc 700 - is no longer visible in the app. Also it looks like settings on the ambiSENSE have priority over the multiMATIC - when I change requested temp. on the vrc 700 it go back to the value from ambiSENSE after couple minutes so at the moment I don't have heating downstairs unless one of the ambiSENSE TRV is calling for heat.
    Question is - can I still use VRC 700 as a standard room thermostat to control temp. downstairs ?
    If not - how can I make it works ?
    I don't mind that some radiators downstairs will get hot when ambiSENSE upstairs is calling for heat.
    I suppose I could buy another ambiSENSE TRV and simply place it somewhere downstairs without even installing on the radiator, but maybe there is better option...

kind regards
    Pawel

2. ScottishGasMan

ScottishGasMan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No. You cant use the 700 as a thermostat when using ambisense. remember the system is designed for all the radiators to have Ambisence valves fitted not just a few.

3. Blyskacz

Blyskacz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the information - shame I didn't know that before.
    What about creating separate zone for downstairs - can vrc 700 be used as room thermostat then ?

regards
    Pawel

4. ScottishGasMan

ScottishGasMan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately not, the VRC700 become the brains of the ambisense when those TRVs are installed so looses its function as a thermostat completely, even if it could be used as a stat, without ambisense TRVs on the downstairs radiators there would be no way for the stat to turn off the heating downstairs when the heats on upstairs, best bet is to get some more TRV heads, even add them in one at a time (there not cheap, but not terribly dear for one at a time) and add them to the "key" radiators you want to control, ie one on lounge rad, and one on each bedroom rad, you can control those rooms individually then, and when any single room is calling for heat the non Ambisense rads will come on with them, which isnt so bad for hall/bathroom etc, plus you can still keep the normal TRVs on those rads and leave them at a lowish setting.