Vaillant or Glow worm - Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are getting our entire central heating replaced, currently on a one pipe system with hot water cylinder, immersion heater, cold water tank in the loft and the boiler is from the seventies and pretty much inaccessible in the corner of the kitchen.

We are looking to replace it with a combi (gives us more space in the bathroom) the plumber has quoted us for a Vaillant Ecotec 831, we are on a tightish budget (whole house needs doing and hopefully an extension) and he has mentioned that he could instead supply a Glow Worm Ultracom2 CXi for £350 less. Although this is a good saving I don't want to make a decision purely based on cost and was wondering how they compare on performance and reliability? Although I have heard of both I have no experience of either any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are also hoping to reduce costs by stripping out the existing radiators and pipes ourselves, would this be worth it, would it save much money? I know it's a difficult one to answer but I'm just after a rough idea. The house is three bedrooms and some of the radiators are also being moved from current locations, living room moving from an inside wall to under a bay window, landing radiator removed and not replaced and 2nd bedroom moving from an inside wall to an outside wall. The quote we have been given is for £5,054 and includes stripping out the existing system.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Vaillant group make Gloworm, they own them along with Heatline, Protherm, and a few other cheaper brands.

If you get your Vaillant fitted in the next month you might get a 10yr warranty, and the 831 is now an 832. Yes, it is '1' better.

Personally, I have fallen out of love with Vaillant due to the brand being diluted by their other acquisitions, customer service and support has suffered, and cost cutting is everywhere. The product isn't bad, it is just not as good as it used to be, and their fault handling call centre can be surly.

Which is a shame because in early 2000s they led the pack.

Thanks simond

If Vaillant now own GloWorm do they also make them, is it a case that the internal components are the same and it is just sold under a different brand name? Or is the build quality on them different?

If I can get a 10yr warranty on the Vaillant that might be the one to go for if it is better than the Gloworm.

Last time I looked, the Vaillant ecoTECs got Grundfos pumps, the Gloworms were fitted with the less reliable Wilo. ecoTECs were fitted with Wilo up to about 2010, but they weren't lasting 5 yrs.

But if it was one of our jobs, I'd be making a strong case for Worcester Bosch.

Every Worcester boiler fitted with a pump, has a Grundfos pump - there's a reason for that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I'll ask our plumber about WB which one would be similar to the EcoTEC, I think we will avoid the Gloworm unless they have changed their pumps.

Thanks for all the help

If ur in Northampton stick with vaillant, not many Worcesters round here. I am biased of course, not much in it with cost and warranty, just personal choice really...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back