Vaillant Thermostat / Ambisense pack - all the gear no idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would appreciate some advice re installing a Vaillant Sensocomfort wireless thermostat VRC720F. It comes with control unit, base station and outdoor temperature monitor.

I've also bought an Ambisense starter pack which has three TRVs and a VR920 internet gateway.

I'm competent but no expert so my question is whether they're straightforward enough that I could install them myself or whether the controls require lots of data set up and authorisation codes that are only available to Vaillant approved installers.

I've got an Ecotec plus boiler, but not one where you can plug in the thermostat so I'd have to connect it manually. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm answering my own question here so that it might help someone else in the future.

It was straightforward to install the VRC720F wireless thermostat and VR920 internet gateway - wire both into the BUS terminals on the PCB (X16). Polarity doesn't matter. I used 0.75mm2 2core multi-strand. Retain the bridge between 3 and 4. (If you're using the boiler's own clock I think you may need to disconnect it.)

If you get 'installation not compatible' on the VRC700 or Sensocomfort app (both work with my set up) it's likely a software problem. Go to General Settings on the app, delete the location, then delete the app and start again. (Vaillant support were helpful.)

The app takes a bit of getting used to but being able to boost/override the timer programme by room is useful.

I had a straightforward 'one zone' set up i.e. combi boiler heating whole house. If you set the bedroom radiator to come on before you wake up you'll probably get woken by the whirring of the TRV adjusting its settings but worth the trade off of being able to heat the bedroom at different times to the living room. I'll probably get another Ambisense TRV for the bathroom so I can also set that to a different timer programme altogether.

Hi SJRSJR,

you seem to have exactly the same setup that I was looking at in order to upgrade my system, I hope you do not mind if I ask you a couple of questions.

Do the VR50s simply operate the radiator valve ON/OFF depending on the temperature set vs. the ambient temperature or do they also send a request to the boiler (via the thermostat, I suppose) to provide hot water ?

If it is so, which device has precedence, the VR50 or the thermostat itself ?

Just an example to clarify the question.
Consider a simple setup with the 720f in the sitting room and a VR50in the bedroom radiator.
During the night the 720f is set to, say, 18 degrees and in the room there are 20 degrees.
At the same time the VR50 in the bedroom detects a temperature in that room (e.g. 18 deg) that is below the set temperature (e.g. 19 deg).
What happens ? The VR50 simply opens the radiator valve but the radiator does not warm up because the thermostat is preventing this, or does the VR50 actually send a "heat" request to the boiler that is honoured and the radiator in the bedroom starts warming up (but also all the other radiators that do not have a VR50 installed) ?

Are you happy with your system ? Does it work as you expected ?

Which app are you using ? Does it work well ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back