Vaillant Turbomax no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Peeps.

Recently my Boiler has stopped delivering hot water, (The heating works fine) and after much research I discovered that the Diverter valve was the likely suspect. So I checked to see if the microswitch was being depressed by the plastic arm when the hot water taps were open... hardly moved, certainly not enough to activate the switch....bingo I thought.

So I know I now need either a new diaphragm or entire Diverter valve. In the meantime I thought "I know, I will just operate the switch manually when I want hot water", so I lodged a screwdriver neatly in place to hold the switch down, and wouldn't you know it my hot water light came on and the heater fired up....great I thought.
But....I STILL get no hot water. So I'm thinking the diverter valve isn't there to purely operate a microswitch, it must also manage the flow of the hot water to the taps??

Does this sound correct, or might I have another problem?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
when the diverter valve is operating correctly, the actual valve moves and transfers the heated water fro going around the radiators to going through the plate heat exchanger, this heats the water that comes out of your taps, manually making the switch will fire the boiler but will only heat the radiators and not the HW, if you have the old turbomax black facia green buttons you need a new diverter valve

when the diverter valve is operating correctly, the actual valve moves and transfers the heated water fro going around the radiators to going through the plate heat exchanger, this heats the water that comes out of your taps, manually making the switch will fire the boiler but will only heat the radiators and not the HW, if you have the old turbomax black facia green buttons you need a new diverter valve
You are correct..., Black facia green buttons.
Thanks for the confirmation, I have seen this refurbed Valve on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2926022446...MIs_ztn-Oy5wIVzLTtCh1xLgEwEAQYBCABEgI9M_D_BwE

Is it worth a punt?

Cheers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You are correct..., Black facia green buttons.
Thanks for the confirmation, I have seen this refurbed Valve on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2926022446...MIs_ztn-Oy5wIVzLTtCh1xLgEwEAQYBCABEgI9M_D_BwE

Is it worth a punt?

Cheers.
Its just your luck, probably not reconditioned to be honest and just cleaned up, the service kit costs more than they are selling the valve for, the seller seems to have a few negative reviews for boiler parts, completely up to you if you take a punt on it, that will not be a pic of the valve you actually get

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Forget anything on ebay described as refurbished...it's now become the norm to describe secondhand parts as such. Even Vaillants own refurb kits don't contain all the parts to fully restore those valves. You need a complete new valve...anything less is a waste of time.

Some good advice, I did think it was too cheap to be worth while.

I do understand getting a complete replacement valve would be the simplest option. and I have seen some service kits that contain very little in the way of parts, but what are your thoughts on this kit? https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/boiler-spares/product/vaillant-140352-diverter-valve-service-kit/ it seems to be very comprehensive and have just about everting the valve would need, admittedly there might be internal aspects to the valve this kit may not allow for?

There's a couple of new valves on ebay for around a £100 and one around £75.

The part below doesn't come in the kits and it's vital for correct diverter operation.
I guess you could check your diverter to see if the plastic cage is still intact...it's located by the large hex brass cap bolt.
If you end up refurb'ing the valve you must replace every part...don't think you can get away with just the lower section...they're a poor design an any stickage in the top section won't be overcome by a new diaphragm etc.
Pull out the venturi with long nose pliers and make sure it's spotless.

I have taken your advise onboard and will follow it with due diligence. I have made an offer on the £75.00 valve on ebay.

Thanks you all that gave their feedback and advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back