Vaillant VCW GB 242 E problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I recently moved into my new home which has this vaillant boiler.

One problem is that I've got mixer taps everywhere but to use the hot water I need to twist the tap to max hotness to get any hot water, I can't just twist the tap to the middle and get warm water if you know what I mean. Is this got to do with the pressure?

Another problem I'm having is that whenever I use the hot water for about 5 minutes continuously the boiler stays on heating the hot water when no one is using the hot water. I have to turn off the hot water using the switch at the boiler manually for it to turn off otherwise ill have a large gas bill to pay.

Anyone know what the problem is or had any of these problems before? Is the boiler supposed to do these things as it is over 10 years old?

Thanks for reading my post and might I add diynot is an amazingly useful site.

Sponsored Links
It seems a classic case of a failed diverter valve.

Not one of the easiest to change either.

Tony

No it doesnt sound like a failed diverter

The turning tap on full is either down to poor pressure or the diaphragm in the water section is stretched and needing changing (more likely due to its age)

The boiler staying on after demand is a sticking servo servo valve and taking its time to drop away from the microswitch this can also be down to a fault in the water section (sticking pin).

Straight forward repairs on a good boiler thats worth repairing

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for the replies. Its good to know its nothing major because as namsag has said, it is a good boiler and the previous owner tried to keep it in good working order. Just need to get a plumber in to repair it now.

I would say someone who repairs boilers instead of installing them only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back