Vaillant VRC470 clock battery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does the VRC470 have a battery backup for the clock? Every time the power goes off, mine resets to 9AM on 01/01/2010 - which is a pain.

None of the programming or other settings are lost, just the time and date.

Is it faulty?

Cheers,

Steve

Sponsored Links
The control unit is powered by batteries.

Remove unit from wall by hinging upwards.
Batteries are in the compartment underneath.
Always use Duracell batteries.

There are no replaceable batteries in the VRC470?

That is true because it is powered through the Ebus!

But the OP has a 470f and that has four AA batteries in the control unit which only last up to 18 months.

However, I dont think thats connected with his problem.

Most items like this have a capacitor which stores power for a short while to continue clock functions. I can just change batteries in my phone without losing the clock if I am quick!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the confusion. I am the OP and I have a VRC470 (eBus powered) not the wireless 470f.

Basically, after a power cut I have to reset the clock every time. I'm reasonably sure this is not expected behaviour? It's a bit rubbish if it is...

Make sure you are pressing 'OK' when you have reset the time and date, not 'back' as 'OK' saves it to memory. Otherwise this contoller only came out this year, so would still be under warrenty with Vaillant. All the times I interrupt power to these units, albeit 10-20 minutes, the time is maintained. I'd contact Vaillant to look at it if the problem remains.

Definitely pressing OK. I'll do some more testing later. I'm wondering if it just has a capacitor and only stays running for a relatively short time.

I disconnected the eBus last night for about 20 minutes and the time was still correct when I reconnected it. I might try an hour tonight just to see what happens.

It's not the end of the world, but we are having frequent power cuts at the moment and it has become a little irritating.

Left the VRC470 unplugged from eBus for an hour, plugged it back in and the clock was correct.

Turned the boiler off at the mains for 20 mins, and the clock was then wrong.

So it looks like the real-time clock is in the boiler not the 470 which seems odd, but not entirely unexpected I suppose. Hey ho, I'll just live with it!

I would be surprised if the clock was in the boiler but its a possibility.

If you disconnect the Ebus then does the display go blank and so cannot reset the time?

Tony

With the eBus disconnected, the display goes completely dead.

When you reconnect it, it sits there saying booting for about 30 seconds before coming back to life. So it definitely doesn't have any local power backup.

I must admit that I was surprised that the clock appears to be in the boiler. My diagnostic method seemed sound though, and it is of course technically possible.

It's not a big deal, just an irritant.

It makes perfect sense that the clock is in the boiler...as these boilers are designed around the controls more than we realise in the UK

We have an antiquated understanding of heating technology that sees everything as separate components, when in fact integrating everything to sing off the same hymn sheet has many advantages designing out a lot of rough edges...

So... Should the boiler have a battery backup for the clock then? Is mine faulty?

that i dont know..

but the fact that when this happens you go straight to the time setting screen indicates that this subject has beec addressed by Vaillant..

No disrespect but the problem is really with the electricity supplier not Vaillant...

No, it doesn't go to the time setting screen - it just behaves as if nothing has happened - including putting the heating on at completely the wrong time of the day. That's the gripe...

If it did nothing and sat there asking for the time to be set, then that wouldn't be too bad.

either way the problem is still the electricity supplier...not Vaillant...its 2012 and the electricity industry has had plenty of time to understand whats involved in consistent supply

oh whoops we live in the UK..

joking a part it must be annoying..no doubt they will modify this eventually..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back