Vailliant Ecotec pro 28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my boiler service and the engineer said he could not open the burner to clean ignition. He said the screws had seized and did not want try any harder. Has this ever happened and is there something that can be done so it gets a proper service ?

Sponsored Links
Never heard of that before - they normally come off quite easily. Tell him to get a bigger spanner, or alternatively call someone else/Vaillant out to service it

Is this something they are ment to do in every bog standard 360 service. Meaning some engineers are lazy, or do you get what you pay for with different levels of service ?

Is this a Homeserve "service"?

The ignition electrodes use 4 mm stainless steel hex cap screws and they are rarely any problem getting them out. The metal is very tough and would not normally shear off.

The combustion chamber should be opened about every third years and the seal renewed. More frequently if the combustion test indicates a problem. They use four 5 mm bolts which are steel and could shear off but that would be very unusual. Again they are not normally any problem.

But when I replace either of these screws I put silicone grease on the threads. They then come out easily. Doubt many others do that though.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Is this a Homeserve "service"?

The ignition electrodes use 4 mm stainless steel hex cap screws and they are rarely any problem getting them out. The metal is very tough and would not normally shear off.

The combustion chamber should be opened about every third years and the seal renewed. More frequently if the combustion test indicates a problem. They use four 5 mm bolts which are steel and could shear off but that would be very unusual. Again they are not normally any problem.

But when I replace either of these screws I put silicone grease on the threads. They then come out easily. Doubt many others do that though.

Tony

No just a local third party engineer. Should it be extra to open and clean and renew seals then as it only gets done every 3 years. So the third year service should cost more ?

Which you was in Liverpool Agile hard to find a good engineer. Ive got British Gas on 8 houses what costs me a bomb. But trying to get 3 good engineers I can call incase of breakdowns and over the past 7 years I have still got non in my .

There are some good engineers but you do have to pay for them.

BG provide a reasonable service at what is a reasonable cost. If you think they are expensive then you need to revise your viewpoint.

When the combustion chamber is opened you need to pay for a £20 seal so the service should cost more.

In my opinion the ignition electrodes should be checked at every service.

We have a forum member in Liverpool called Sooey. I would hope that he does services properly!

Tony

There are some good engineers but you do have to pay for them.

BG provide a reasonable service at what is a reasonable cost. If you think they are expensive then you need to revise your viewpoint.

When the combustion chamber is opened you need to pay for a £20 seal so the service should cost more.

In my opinion the ignition electrodes should be checked at every service.

We have a forum member in Liverpool called Sooey. I would hope that he does services properly!

Tony
I think Bg is ok. Just I have gave them 4 k in 2 years and havnt had any repairs so thinking I could get a local engineer.

I wouldnt of also minded paying the extra £20 for a seal, just feel I never got informed.

Agile again ffs, you keep talking and then other engineers get it in the neck when they visit because you give the wrong information!!! Seal change is every 5 years! The nuts never shear off! Don't put silicon grease on use copper slip! If you cant give right info then dont give any!!

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Vaillant say the seals should last up to five years.

But some engineers like to open them sooner. I only said "about three years". If I said five years then anyone reading here would then complain if their engineer decided to do it sooner.

For example one of us here :-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2746652

Dangerous to say nuts "never" shear off. Would you pay someone £1M if they showed you a sheared off bolt?

Dangerous to say nuts "never" shear off. Would you pay someone £1M if they showed you a sheared off bolt?

Perhaps bunny said 99.999999999999% of the times they don't, which is (almost) never:LOL:
If someone is heavy handed, of course damage will take place

Was a little surprised at suggested use of silicon grease on the threads:whistle:

G4U, your name is mud, I can see IBMs getting ready for deployment. I am heading for my bunker that I made from IKEA cardboard boxes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I usually put silicone grease on many screws.

It lubricates them and reduces corrosion making them easier to get off for next time.

Whilst copper slip may be better, I always have silicone with me and so use that.

Pity others don't use something on threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back