vailliant turbo max 242 (no hot water from taps)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
could anyone help with diagnosing my boiler fault
The boiler whas already fitted when we moved in to the property so has per useual no user manual & no idea of the age of boiler.i think its the vailliant turbo max 242 having compared it to photos .the problem is when i turn switch to the hot water only symbol the light doesn't come on and the boiler wont fire up when hot taps turned on.when i turn switch to the heating & water symbol the boiler fires up for the heating but the water from taps is only warm then goes cold then warm again etc. then when the heating reaches its temperature range the boiler wont fire up for the water when the taps turned on.any ideas on what the fault could be would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You would be better off posting in the plumbing forum.

Mods can you move this post?

Sounds like your system is very dirty and has fouled both your hot water heat exchanger, and the diverter valve. A new pump wouldn't go amiss either.

My best advice would be get the system flushed 1st and the get a fixed price repair and get all three components changed (a new pressure differtential switch also, if you can).

Do the flush yourself - hire the machine ( £75ish) and download instructions from kamco.co.uk. + Homeserve instant cover @ £300 ish, will give you a reliable boiler with many years life yet to come.

Sponsored Links
Looks as if your diverter valve has bitten the dust.

Vailiant do repair kits, though best off fitting a new one.

Its either the plastic arm, microswitch or diaphragm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back