Valley leak / repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mums bungalow has a valley and it's been leaking for a while. I have been up and can't see any cracks in the lead and last winter re pointed 1 or 2 places under the concrete tiles but it is still leaking.

So I'm going to have another go, and check the lead again very carefully. I'm going to remove the tiles & all the old pointing, check the condition of the felt sarking - 20+ years old so probably gone - and if so run some new membrane under the old felt if necessary, re lay the tiles and then re point back up.

I've read it's best to prime the area for pointing with a mix of SBR & cement and paint it on the underside of the tile and the lead and then point while it's still tacky.

What mix would you recommend for the valley pointing so that it sets hard, is waterproof, and bonds to the tile and the lead.

Would 6/1/2 Grano Dust/Building Sand/Cement be OK and should I add SBR to it ?

Or do you use a ready mixed product these days ?

many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
have you any pictures?
fyi, its not the idea to bond the tiles to the lead.
also the mortar isn't essential to keep rain out.
of course provided the valley is formed correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back