Valley pointing, cement estimate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've volunteered to cement my mate's roofing gutters (He's in a wheelchair)

I cleared them of leaves last week, and noticed the cement between the valleys and the tiles is falling out.

I'm trying to estimate how much I'll need. There are two valleys like a Y between 3x roofs with one at the bottom, which I didnt check. Each valley is about 10ft long.
Can someone give me a guess as to how much I'll need please?
Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Hi N,
As an amateur using B and Q does 6x bags of sand, 2x bags of cement/valley sound ok?
C
Yes. You may need to add a wee bit of sharp sand to help prevent cracking although this does lessen the workability. A lot will depend on the tile profile, bed thickness and exposure to the sun.
It's no easy task re-bedding a valley. Are you sure you want to take this on?

Sponsored Links
Yes. You may need to add a wee bit of sharp sand to help prevent cracking although this does lessen the workability. A lot will depend on the tile profile, bed thickness and exposure to the sun.
It's no easy task re-bedding a valley. Are you sure you want to take this on?
Hi N,
I'm 75, so no, I'm not sure I want to take it on!

I am ok at estimating my energies, and this is why I'm trying to figure out and estimate the effort involved, and whether I'll need a mixing labourer.

I once did a complete house up, by asking questions, so here's one: What are the difficulties?
C.

What are the difficulties?
Re-bedding a valley is basically a bastad. You could break more tiles, it could rain, you are likely to make a mess of one side whilst trying to complete the immediate neighbour, laths could be rotten, valley may get damaged. Need I go on?

Re-bedding a valley is basically a bastad. You could break more tiles, it could rain, you are likely to make a mess of one side whilst trying to complete the immediate neighbour, laths could be rotten, valley may get damaged. Need I go on?
Hi N,
Don't be so pessimistic ;)
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back