Valliant boiler no hot water unless heating is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and sorry if I dont know all the technical jargon but I need your help

Ive just bought a house after saving up for years, it needed renovations as my son is disabled so i factored all that in and was only left with about 1500 contingency (long story)

anyhoo I have the builders doing the work before I move in and they tell me i have no hot water, the plumber was in replacing a rad so had a look and couldnt get it to work. he says he could try a couple of fixes but wouldnt know which it was until he replaced parts which could cost upwards of 400 but both he and the builder recommend a new boiler which i just dont have the funds for atm, its on my to do list as well as changing all the uneconnomical rads but i really need another few months out of this one before i can afford it

ive been down today after theyve gone and had a look and a play, its a vaillant 242

if the heating is on it fires up and i can get some hot water although its set to max and the water is hot enough to wash up but no hotter

if i turn the heating off i get no hot water

in either case the water light isnt coming on

any ideas??

also they have quoted me 3k to change the boiler to a 35watt one and reposition it in the attic qith a radio control and room stat, and also put thermostat valves (I think they are called) on all the rads, does that sound about right?

thanks

Sponsored Links
when you say no hot water do you mean a ) no water at all or b) theres water but water cold

is water staying at constant temp ? or going hot and cold ?

Last edited:
when the heaing is on it gets hot and stays that way unless i turn the heating off then it starts running cold again

Sponsored Links
to be honest get another heating engineer not a plumber to have a look . what size house have you got ? to install a 35 kw boiler .

a big one lol, im a foster carer and all my kids need their own rooms so its got 5 beds upstairs and 3 reception rooms although one will be a bedroom for my youngest who is disabled

A radiator is just a steel (usually) box full of water. There is usually scant economical benefit in changing a radiator. You could save there.

Pricing a boiler swap is like me asking you to price me a typical new kitchen. There are too many variables pertinent to your house.

it is an old boiler but if you can't afford a new one i expect this can be fixed for not a lot of cash .

Should be a simple boiler fix for a decent engineer, I'd get a quote for fixing it before you accept their diagnosis or go down the new boiler route.
Ask the plumber what parts it actually needs to fix it. Or give vailant a call and ask them to call out.

I don't normally do this but in this instance you best bet is Try vaillant fixed price repair, £299 and they will fix whatever's wrong with it and 12 months cover on the rest of the boiler as well

so even if something else goes wrong in that 12 months they will sort it ? thank you that will give me plenty of time to save for a new one :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back