Valliant ecotec 837-losing pressure often-topping up almost daily now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having issues with my Valliant ecotec 837 and is losing pressure often. I am topping up almost daily now.

How do I fix this? Is it an easy fix?

Help pls!

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Would need a lot more detailed info before being able to offer meaningful advice . you may have a leak internally ,or expansion vessel not functioning properly to name the two most obvious ,but there are other possibilities.

Would need a lot more detailed info before being able to offer meaningful advice . you may have a leak internally ,or expansion vessel not functioning properly to name the two most obvious ,but there are other possibilities.

ok fair enough mate. what other info is required?

First thing , is water being expelled from the copper pipe ,outside ,that is the pressure relief pipework. May be difficult to notice in current weather, and not to be confused with the plastic condensate pipe. Your usual pressure would be around 1 bar cold and up to around 2 bar when system hot. If it rises to 3 bar the prv should open and allow water out the copper pipe ,it would be doing its job. So you need to monitor your pressure gauge and let's know what you observed .water leaks on radiator valves / pipework /joints etc would be a reason for slow pressure loss if its a slow weep. Not always obvious as small amounts can evaporate away so you need to look really closely for any tell tale signs ,even if not wet. That'll do for starter's

Sponsored Links
First thing , is water being expelled from the copper pipe ,outside ,that is the pressure relief pipework. May be difficult to notice in current weather, and not to be confused with the plastic condensate pipe. Your usual pressure would be around 1 bar cold and up to around 2 bar when system hot. If it rises to 3 bar the prv should open and allow water out the copper pipe ,it would be doing its job. So you need to monitor your pressure gauge and let's know what you observed .water leaks on radiator valves / pipework /joints etc would be a reason for slow pressure loss if its a slow weep. Not always obvious as small amounts can evaporate away so you need to look really closely for any tell tale signs ,even if not wet. That'll do for starter's

ok thanks i will look...."the copper pipe ,outside"-how do i locate this?

the pressure has dropped to as low as 0.6 hot. i keep topping up as i dont want to damage the boiler.

It would usually come thru the wall in the vicinity of the boiler ,to outside . somewhere below the flue. And the end of it should be terminated in a safe area and visible ,as very hot water ,as well as cold ,can expel from it.

Frequent adding of cold water can eventually dilute the chemical Inhibitor that should be in your sealed system ,and will promote corrosion , causing other issues.

Frequent adding of cold water can eventually dilute the chemical Inhibitor that should be in your sealed system ,and will promote corrosion , causing other issues.

ah ok! how do top up the inhibitor?

Don't at this stage ,until water loss is sorted. But easy diy way is via a radiator ,towel rail is easiest. If you have one.

We had this

First was a cracked heat exchanger in a 6 month old boiler, they changed the full boiler as it was cheaper, then it happened again 6 maonths later, 1st thought same reason, eventually it turned out to be a weeping valve in the kitchen dripping past the floor tiles and soaking the concrete so no visable signe, British Gas found it with an infra red thermometer that showed a cold patch

Hex is one of them

i may have found the pipe in the conservatory (also found the covered drain there). the pipe is covered by a cupboard...

should i get some inhibitor for now and add it to the system (dont have a towel rail heater)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back