Valliant ecotec 837-losing pressure often-topping up almost daily now

I suppose a lot depends on where you live... if a small community means only a few trades and no competition, so they can rule the roost. There’s loads of Plumbers where I live and many who know each other - none of us are conmen, some who know how to earn a buck, but they put the effort in and deserve the rewards.

To sort out your leaky valve should be £80-£100 “if” there are no other ‘obstacles’.

Draining down stops you and your home getting wet/covered in black shyte.

Clean all the deposits away from the connection using back of a Stanley knife/screwdriver/wire wool/abrasive strip... polish it up. Drain system however you need to and undo the nut.
Wrap ptfe around the back of the olive and retighten. Check all other rad valves whilst you have system drained and deal with any you find. Get some inhibitor into the system however you can and refill/pressurise.

All in an hours work.

yep. i asked my neighbour about the drain pipe and he has one so i'm going to have another look to see if i can find it. if you know any trusted plumbers near slough. please do let me know!

Sponsored Links
This is the only outlet looking thing I could find on the outside. And this is sitting just below the rad that has the leak

Attachments

• CCF09602-A13F-4ACA-9D19-6865DA6EB2CC.jpeg
    CCF09602-A13F-4ACA-9D19-6865DA6EB2CC.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 92
Funtins ,in your pic of the leaking valve ,with arrow, it looks to me like there may be a drain off ,just to the right of the valve and partly out of pic. Can you take another pic showing the full valve and radiator end please. Its the silver coloured bit pointing downward ,that may be a hose connection point. The copper pipe in your last pic looks more like prv pipework ,but it may not be.

Sponsored Links
Yes mate see attached please

Attachments

• AC028151-FEA9-4E71-8072-3D1E5DB2627C.jpeg
    AC028151-FEA9-4E71-8072-3D1E5DB2627C.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 97
Yep ,that's a drain off point mate. Hose pipe on the bottom and the top will have either a square that you put a key onto ( like when you bleed air from the top of a radiator ) to open the drain cock. Or possibly its a flat bladed screwdriver needed. If you look closely in the top of the vertical section it should be obvious .

This is the only outlet looking thing I could find on the outside. And this is sitting just below the rad that has the leak

That looks like the PRV discharge pipe you were being asked to look for at the start of this topic! :ROFLMAO:;)

Thanks dilalio ,feel a bit better now after spending 200 quid in specsavers on these glasses !! :LOL::LOL:

Mate... I have to go there soon... I’ve not been for 2 years... last time I went there, guess who I bumped into?................... everyone! :D:LOL:
Seriously tho... my specs are also my safety goggles and they have been so badly abused that I am constantly running the wipers on my van to clear the windscreen... and it’s my bloody lenses that are cloudy! I can actually see better without them at the moment and that’s saying summat cos my eyesight is sh!t. :oops::sick:

Yep ,that's a drain off point mate. Hose pipe on the bottom and the top will have either a square that you put a key onto ( like when you bleed air from the top of a radiator ) to open the drain cock. Or possibly its a flat bladed screwdriver needed. If you look closely in the top of the vertical section it should be obvious .
yeh its a square, i see it. so if i loosen it, it will drain the whole system? how does it do that if its one floor up?

yeh its a square, i see it. so if i loosen it, it will drain the whole system? how does it do that if its one floor up?
It won't drain anything below it ,but it will allow you to fix your leak. Have a look at your RAds on ground floor ,for similar drain offs to drain the whole system.

It won't drain anything below it ,but it will allow you to fix your leak. Have a look at your RAds on ground floor ,for similar drain offs to drain the whole system.

ah ok ok. yeh i didnt see anything but it may be hidden.

ok, so this is interesting.....i tightened the nut again hoping that would fix the issue and it seems like it has. no leak for the last few hours....!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back