valliant ecotec filling loop leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Valliant Ecotec plus 824 has a built-in filling loop. Mine leaks. It leaks water through the valve connected to the incoming mains water. If the filling loop pipe is left disconnected, water comes out of it at the rate of approx 1 pint every 4 days. If it is left connected to the other valve, which connects with the heating system, the heating system gradually becomes over-pressure. This is surprising to me since the heating system valve is obviously leaking too for this to happen: it leaks high pressure mains water into the heating system but not heating system water out of the system.

I figure I have to replace the valve connected to the incoming mains water supply. This costs approx £35. Do others agree with this diagnosis?

Other boiler manufacturers don't have a built in filling loop and so you can buy a cheap loop and fit it. Why do Valliant do things the difficult and expensive way?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately they do have a tendency to let by. You could replace them both, keep them shut and fit an external filling loop if you are concerned about it happening again.

Or buy a new standard filling loop and fit it in between the existing with 1 valve and close it.

Done it a few times including at home

Sponsored Links
Or buy a new standard filling loop and fit it in between the existing with 1 valve and close it.

Done it a few times including at home

Thanks for all replies.

Regarding fitting a new standard filling loop in series with the existing one, I think the connector on the mains water outlet side is fine but the other end of the standard filling loop would not connect with the existing filling loop and neither would it connect with the Vaillant valve at the radiator end. Please see photos at https://picasaweb.google.com/109642...&authkey=Gv1sRgCLWKneKXqZbnFg&feat=directlink

However the suggestion to simply put a blanking cap at the water outlet side seems the simplest practical solution. And the cheapest way to buy one would seem to get a filling loop from ebay for £6 with two caps supplied.

Remove 1/2 inch end of hose from check valve on boiler
connect to valve from filling loop (use the one with a check valve in and get it the correct way round)
Take the flexi hose from new filling loop and attach between new valve and existing check valve

2mins no draining, no need to remove caps etc when it needs topping up

Hi, got same problem with a two year old 824, both valves are leaking, the inlet especially badly so pressure keeps climbing and am losing all the inhibitor I added each time I have to drain off to reduce the pressure (shoddy german quality).

Thinking the best solution will be to cap off both ends and fit an external loop (with proper removable hose). Can anyone confirm the size of the smaller hose thread on the flow outlet fitting - 3/8" or some other odd size? Looks too small to me to be 3/8" but could be wrong.

Thanks.

Remove 1/2 inch end of hose from check valve on boiler
connect to valve from filling loop (use the one with a check valve in and get it the correct way round)
Take the flexi hose from new filling loop and attach between new valve and existing check valve

2mins no draining, no need to remove caps etc when it needs topping up
Hi. I have a problem with my valves letting by and this looks like a good solution. Just to be sure that I understand your instructions, do you mean to install a new standard combi straight filling loop such as this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/combi-straight-filling-loop/46605 but remove the non-check valve side of the new filling loop (because that won't be used). Then insert the remaining part of the new filling loop in between the mains side boiler valve and the old filling loop? So finally there will be 2 filling loops joined together? Sorry if I have got this muddled up, but I cannot think of another way to do it.

Hi. I have a problem with my valves letting by and this looks like a good solution. Just to be sure that I understand your instructions, do you mean to install a new standard combi straight filling loop such as this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/combi-straight-filling-loop/46605 but remove the non-check valve side of the new filling loop (because that won't be used). Then insert the remaining part of the new filling loop in between the mains side boiler valve and the old filling loop? So finally there will be 2 filling loops joined together? Sorry if I have got this muddled up, but I cannot think of another way to do it.

Keep the non return valve.
Cap off the the existing one on the boiler(1/2 inch brass cap)

Tee into cold main under boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back