Vapour barrier and Ecotherm insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed regarding a vapour barrier. I've removed old plaster back to stone in an 1830 house (it has a damp issue from a chimney breast which I'm addressing), I want to VB, batten at 600mm centres, insulate between and fix with fixings and then screw PB to the battens and skim.
But I've been told just to use visqeen, I'm wondering if permaSeal is a better option or if that's an over kill.
Also if I VB first then batten and then fix the insulation with 8mm plastic fixings how do I seal the holes I create in the VB from the fixings and screwing the battens to the wall, am i just over thinking it, or is there a better solution.
I've already bought the foil backed insulation so a can't change my mind about that.

Sponsored Links
Advice needed regarding a vapour barrier. I've removed old plaster back to stone in an 1830 house (it has a damp issue from a chimney breast which I'm addressing), I want to VB, batten at 600mm centres, insulate between and fix with fixings and then screw PB to the battens and skim.
But I've been told just to use visqeen, I'm wondering if permaSeal is a better option or if that's an over kill.
Also if I VB first then batten and then fix the insulation with 8mm plastic fixings how do I seal the holes I create in the VB from the fixings and screwing the battens to the wall, am i just over thinking it, or is there a better solution.
I've already bought the foil backed insulation so a can't change my mind about that.
Vapour barrier or DPM? The two are distinct and prevent moisture migration form differing directions.

Sponsored Links
The few fixings from the battens will not affect the performance of the DPM.

You would not fix the insulation or add any further penetrations of the membrane.

Consider spacing the battens at 400 or 450 centres to avoid excessive bounce or bowing of the boards if the walls are uneven.

Fit the insulation between and over the battens to avoid a cold bridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back