Vapourising oil burner problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've inherited an Aga and an oil-fired stove, both fitted with vapourising burners. Over the last few years I've been teaching myself how to service them (and it's been a bit frustrating at times).

Now I hear (on BBC Radio 4) that many people with vapourising burners are having problems with excessive soot because of a recent EU directive reducing sulphur content in kerosene. This would help to explain some of the problems I've been having.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the problem (for example by using an additive)? Changing the appliances is not affordable in the short or medium term.

Can anyone point me to a reliable source of information on maintaining these devices, so that I can improve my knowledge?

Sponsored Links
Yes I have a tip!

Get an Oftec technician or someone who is qualified to service your appliances.

I take it you have a smoke gun and proper test equipment to carry out the combustions tests?

Thanks, Oilman.

I wasn't aware that paraffin was readily available these days in bulk supply. Are there any disadvantages to using it?

Sponsored Links
Yes I have a tip!

Get an Oftec technician or someone who is qualified to service your appliances.

I take it you have a smoke gun and proper test equipment to carry out the combustions tests?

This is an Aga with a sleeve burner, what tests are you proposing, and what should the results be?

xerxes said:
I wasn't aware that paraffin was readily available these days in bulk supply. Are there any disadvantages to using it?

Probably costs more. Otherwise get aircraft fuel.

Errr....and what adjustments are you going to make when you have the test results? :LOL:

I think that Avtur or JP1 or JET A1 Aviation fuel is a kerosene based fuel.
Avtag is a wide-cut gasoline based fuel. Do NOT go there.
Avcat is a low volatility fuel for use in shipborne aircraft.

I don't know about Avtar. Isn't that one of those little piccies on a computer?

Either way, if you can get a cheapish supply of paraffin it'll work and I think that Avtur or JP1 or JET A1 would be worth a trial.

I'd better say it before someone else does.
DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER AVGAS!!!! It is 100/130 Aviation gasoline. i.e. really serious petrol!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back