Varnish Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Just in the process of fitting a few Oak Veneer doors from Premdor. (4 panel Somerset Oak). I was going to use Ronseal Diamond Hard Clear varnish but asked Premdor if I should be using water based varnish on this product and they have just replied with "it must be high joinery grade, solvent Based Polyurethane varnish/lacquer"

Any suggestions as to what I should be using and is there really a valid reason for not using water based.

Whatever I use, I want to be as clear as possible to retain the appearance of the timber.

Many thanks,
Andy.

Sponsored Links
Water based could cause the veneer to swell and become rough, moisture on timber gives a rough surface hence the solvent based products.

Okay thank you, solvent it is then.

Are they all basically the same, its years since I used polyurethane, I know it can cause yellowing over time, any particularly better than others?

Had a quick look locally and can easily source Ronseal, Dulux, Johnstones.

(Ronseal states 'Mellows with the wood over time'! Is that a typo :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back