varnishing marble floor tiles

C

chantelle

Hello everyone!
Have searched forum for an answer but none seem to exist so hope someone can advise.I have marble floor tiles in my kitchen,they were high gloss but have now gone very dull. I now know that they were not sealed when laid.I have read that they can be polished by using different grades of pad using a buffer etc,but that would be too expensive,it`s not a huge kitchen and i don`t own a buffer or anything like that.I would like to do it myself. Don`t laugh but is there any reason why i cannot simply clean the tiles then layer them with a coat of non yellowing vanish? My friend suggested boat varnish because it is obviously very hardwearing/tough. Any advice most appreciated.

Thanks,
Chantelle.

Sponsored Links
I don't think varnish is the way to go, boat (yacht varnish) tends to be solvent based so tends to darken. I suspect if it takes it ok, after a while as it wears you will be retreating and the areas that have not worn will get darker as you re-coat the whole floor because you will not be able to cut in only the worn bits.

How about something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamond-Extra-Polish-Sealant-Solids/dp/B003ZVXSG4

It says for marble non slip and you can simply reapply like any polish

Sponsored Links
You can hire a polisher! A good hire company will have the relevant consumer supplies to use with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back